Help! Want to find out how many tickets are assigned by Jira automation rules

Monica Morris August 10, 2022

Hi Jira community - I'm hoping somebody here will know the answer to my question!

I recently set up a bunch of automation rules for our Jira service desk. The rules automatically assign tickets to different teams and they're working great.

I'd like to be able to show my manager how many tickets are being automatically assigned by the Jira automations I've set up. My goal is to be able to say something like "X% of all tickets submitted via the portal are being automatically assigned by Jira, instead of going to the Unassigned Issues queue to be assigned manually by a Level 1 support agent."

Does anybody know how to get this information?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2022

Hello @Monica Morris 

To whom is the Actor set on the rule(s) that automatically assign the issues?

You can use a JQL like this to find all the issues where the Assignee value was changed by a particular user:

assignee CHANGED BY <user Account ID in quotes>

You can refine that filter by specifying a project, and by specifying a date range when the change occurred using the DURING operator. Refer to this page for more info on the CHANGED and DURING operators.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-operators/#Advancedsearchingoperatorsreference-CHANGEDCHANGED

Thanks very much @Trudy Claspill, this works!

The actor assigning the rule is Automation for Jira.

I was able to obtain the account ID needed for the query by going to the "People" profile page for Automation for Jira and copying the ID from the URL.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2022

I would do it by using components, so every time your automation is doing the assignment, also add a component, like auto-assigned or something like that. You can then use that component to create a filter to show how many requests were auto-assigned.

Thanks @Mikael Sandberg, I think this would technically work too. I'm gonna go with the query option just so I don't have to update all the automation rules and have tags (in the form of Components, Labels, etc.) that I don't absolutely need on the tickets. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events