Help - Easy Board Status Workflow that allows for more detail

Kirsten_Wakefield September 23, 2022

I am needing to adjust an overly complicated workflow to accommodate my Team's needs in a more simple way.

What we need are:

TO DO - IN PROGRESS - ENV1 - ENV2 - ENV3 (the item then cycles through three different environments which are currently on the board as statuses and making it very complicated and messy) - DONE.

To simplify this I am thinking of simply having TO DO - IN PROGRESS - IN REVIEW - DONE.

BUT I still want to see which environment the task is currently in while in Progress or in Review. I know I can't add sub categories to the columns, and I don't want to add all three as their own columns/statuses again.

Any advice? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2022

Hello @Kirsten_Wakefield 

You could create a custom field to hold the Environment information, and then add that to the display of issue cards on your board.

I don't work with Work Management projects a lot so I don't know all about the limitations associated with adding custom fields to the displays, but I did notice at least some custom fields I added were available in the Board view when I clicked on the ... button and selected Customize Cards.

Addition of a new custom field and adding that to the screens for the issues in your project requires Jira Administrator permissions.

Kirsten_Wakefield September 28, 2022

Thank you, this worked! I then created a filter based on the drop down options in my custom filter field "Environments". This has allowed me to be able to view all tasks currently on a particular environment as well as being able to change the environment status when it moves.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events