Having trouble with permissions/security/issues/groups

Mandi Chiancone
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

The user and group I assigned security & permission to can see all projects but the one they are assigned to.  I also assigned someone to a particular issue and they cannot see it.  I have created an issue security scheme and security level for the scheme, added the users to the security level, associated the issue security scheme with the project and set the security level to the issues. 

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2015

I'm sorry, a lot of this is not making sense to me.  Specifically, you say 

6. Then I tested, the user who has permission on both levels can see all issues, however the user who doesn't have all permissions can see just the one he has access to. 

That is what issue security is for.  It hides issues from people who do not have the security to see it.

Also, as an admin, you don't get "I can see/do everything".  Admins get admin rights.  If you want to see the project, you have to be in there in the same roles/groups as the project users.  And the same for the security schemes - if you want to see potentially hidden issues, you need to match the security level rule to see the issues in that level.

0 votes
Mandi Chiancone
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

Hi Nic, thank you for getting back with me.

I assigned a role and user to project "Demonstration."  I want to assign that person to a particular issue within that project (i.e, Issue 1) but disallow them from seeing the entire project. 

The steps I followed are directly listed below, I read through the documentation associated with each step.

Configuring Issue-Level Security
Creating an issue security scheme
Adding a security level to an issue security scheme
Adding Users/Groups/Project Roles to a Security Level
Assigning an issue security scheme to a project 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA064/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

Paula Silveira was kind enough to send us a video of the process listed below; however, there is something that I am missing because once we get through #4 – I (Administrator) cannot see the project or issues any longer and the person that I have assigned tasks can see his tasks and all projects.

1. Create Project
  2. Add users to groups
  3. Create a Security scheme
  4. Add the scheme to the project
  5. Add the field security to the issue creation screen
  6. Then I tested, the user who has permission on both levels can see all issues, however the user who doesn't have all permissions can see just the one he has access to. 
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2015

What do you mean by "the project they are assigned to" and "I assigned someone to a particular issue"?  

Suggest an answer