Having problem with sharing issue filters and dashboards to everyone or groups

Sharmin Ghasemi April 1, 2013

Hello,

When I select manage filters or dashboards and select share with everyone, I receive a warning that says:

"Sharing with everyone will make this visible to users who are not logged in"

This is puzzeling to me since I don't understand why my shared filter/dashboard should be seen by other users who are not logged-in, this seems more like a known security problem to me that has not been fixed.

Obviously, in any ondemand site, "everyone" applies to every legitimate user who is logged-on and not everyone else on who has access to the link of shared filters/dashboards.

please help to close this security problem or explain what is the purpose of sharing a list with user who are not logged-on to the account?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2013

Hi Sharmin,

Everyone means just that, 'Everyone', and is why it provides that warning (and is consequently not a security problem). If you want to share with your users, you would probably want to choose the group, users.

Thanks,

-dave

Hi Dave,

thank you for your quick reply, I've tried using the groups but when selected I don't see all of defined groups in the drop-down menu, for example I have defined 10 groups but I only see 4 groups so have no choice other than selecting"everyone" at this momement.

Also, as a suggestion, I think it makes more sense to define "everyone" as every user under the registered ondemand account and not really everyone on attalsian.com/.net.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2013

Everyone means everyone on the internet - it means you're sharing it publicly. Every user on the account would already be defined as the users group, so making the change you suggest would reduce the functionality of sharing without gaining anything. Per the instructions for sharing filters, you can only share with groups for which you are a member, so this is likely the issue you are seeing.

I am still not sure why someone would want to share an object from JIRA with everyone on the Internet, but let's focus on sharing to the groups:

since I am the administrator on my ondemand account I expect to be able to share with all groups even if I am not a memeber of it, is this a feature that can be provided for my ondemand site through technical support?

Dave
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2013

It's explicitly stated through the above link to the instructions that you must be a member of the group to share with that group. You might want to check out the existing feature request to add the functionality, where you can watch it as well as vote/comment.

That, as a matter of fact, is an excellent working 'real world' example of why you would want issues, or a filter for issues, to be public facing.

thanks for clarifying the usage of availble options for sharing, Now I understand how sharing to everyone or sharing to groups works.

However, I think there should be a way for admin to share objects with all users/groups, will suggest this as a feature.

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
April 1, 2013

It's explicitly stated through the above link to the instructions that you must be a member of the group to share with that group. You might want to check out the existing feature request to add the functionality, where you can watch it as well as vote/comment.

That, as a matter of fact, is an excellent working 'real world' example of why you would want issues, or a filter for issues, to be public facing.

Suggest an answer