Have 2 ip address to access to jira

akshay dewan January 31, 2013

Migrated data over from Jira4 to jira5, using sql dump. Both the jira's are on same network, but different machine with ubuntu.

At first, I was able to access new jira with new ip. I did the xml data back, from old jira, and restored on the new jira. Got the needed data but lost filter and other settings. So, i tried the sql backup. After the sql restore, there was a added banner, stating the base url is different in some file, do you wish to change to it. Said no. stop and restarted jira.

Now, i can get it with new jira ip but don't see the data i could see before sql dump restore. Then i tried logging in with ip on the banner, for my old jira, and it has all the data. But the base url on new jira is set to new ip.

Need help to resolve this issue.

The new jira needs to be showing all the data with access thru new ip only.

3 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

Akshay, do simple steps to isolate the issue.

Base url has nothing to do with JIRA access. If you are still getting confused with the IP addresses, shutdown one machine and see what happens.

Your old server is 53 and new one is 115. Are the databases connecting to the different ones or did both of them connect to the same database?

And this line does not make any sense to me "On the same machine, if I connect thru .53 jira (and that is new jira, not connecting to old jira), I see all my data." - If you connect using 53 you are going to the old JIRA

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2013

Thanks for posting that Renjith, it's not just me who is confused by the descriptions. I am struggling to understand exactly what Akshay is doing and what he's actually reporting.

0 votes
sona pareeya August 11, 2013

This will end up in IP conflict..

IP address conflict occurs when two or more computers on the same LAN network end up with the same IP address. When this occurs, both computers end up not being able to connect to network.There are a few ways in which this problem can be fixed.If it is Static IP request your ISP for a change of IP.If it is a Dynamic IP you can try resetting your modem by switching ON and OFF the modem or open the command prompt and type "ipconfig /release," which dumps the automatic address it had, and then "ipconfig /renew," which gets a new address.To check for the change in IP you can visit Ip-details.com which gives your public IP when you visit the site.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2013

So, to be clear:

You have NOT changed anything on the old Jira, and it is running fine on the old IP address, with the right base url and the old data

You are having problems with the new one. If I've read it correctly, what you did was:

• Created a new Jira application server connected to an empty database
  • xml export from old Jira
  • Load that into new Jira
  • Find out that it has problems
  • Destroy the new Jira database by restoring the SQL over the top of it (this explains why you can't see the data before the sql restoration)
  • New Jira is running fine, with a new base url.

I don't actually see what the problem is here?

I did not change anything on old jira. It is running of old ip and its base url.

New jira is running. Will not show me all my data. But can be connected to using old jira ip and shows me all the data. They are still on different machine. I should be not be able to access jira with the ip not defined as base url i.e. my old jira ip, and should be able to see all data there. Are there any config/server files where I need to change the ip/url manually?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2013

I'm confused - you're now saying both old and new Jira are running on the same IP. That's not making sense.

Yes they are.. like I wrote in my question 'Both the jira's are on same network, but different machine with ubuntu.'

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2013

Um, that's not really sane - if they're on the same ip address, then how do the computers know which one you mean? You should never set up machines with the same ip address on the same network because the whole point of an ip address is that it is unique (within the context). You should be seeing some nasty packet collisions and generally poor network performance if you've done this too, but it can be very variable.

akshay dewan February 1, 2013

I cannot understand and resolve the issue and that is why i posted the question here... firstly.

Secondly, like i said before on my original question 'Now, i can get it with new jira ip but don't see the data i could see before sql dump restore. Then i tried logging in with ip on the banner, for my old jira, and it has all the data. But the base url on new jira is set to new ip.'

The machines are not set with same ip. Old jira is ending .53 and new jira is.115

After the sql restore, the banner kept suggeting to connect thru .53, which I rejected to change to.

New jira is set to .115 as base url. And i can access it but dont see my data there. On the same machine, if I connect thru .53 jira (and that is new jira, not connecting to old jira), I see all my data.

Some config file, as part of data folder migration, messed up the ip setting on the new .115 jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2013

So, your previous comment was inaccurate, and they are not running on the same IP. Good. That rules that out.

I am still struggling to follow what you have done. Can you confirm that both your Jira installations are completely separate? We've established they are separate application servers with different IP addresses, but what about the databases?

Also, as you've confirmed that you have separate IP addresses, I really cannot see why "old Jira has IP address .53" and "new Jira has .115" and their base urls match - that is completely correct, so I have no idea why you've mentioned it.

Alexander Wolden February 1, 2013

It sounds like your new install isn't set-up correctly. What do you see in your new JIRA install? Is it working? Does it have ANY data?

Suggest an answer