Has anyone upgraded Tomcat?

Alexa Nuckles August 30, 2017

We recently upgraded to 7.4 and are looking to update our Tomcat to the latest instance as well due to some security issues. We found this article but I was wondering if anyone has ever done it before. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-upgrade-apache-tomcat-version-in-jira-7-x-879957866.html

If you have, what was your experience?

If you don't recommend it, why not?

Thank you,
Alexa

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2017

Hi Alexa,

I have done it and have worked cases where customers have done it succesfully.  The primary downside is in regards to Support if you put in a ticket with the Support Team after you make the change:

The information in this page relates to customisations in JIRA. Consequently, Atlassian Support cannot guarantee to provide any support for the steps described on this page as customisations are not covered under Atlassian Support Offerings. Please be aware that this material is provided for your information only and that you use it at your own risk.

Also, please be aware that customisations done by directly modifying files are not included in the upgrade process. These modifications will need to be reapplied manually on the upgraded instance.

(warning)  Do note that, if anything goes wrong, please revert the changes from the backup directories. 

That being said I would first try this on a test instance to see what the result will be and once you're satisfied with the outcome you can make the changes to your production instance after making a full backup.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer