Has anyone had experience importing from Spiceworks into Service Desk?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2016

I'm looking to move my company's help desk system from Spiceworks to Service Desk. I was able to perform a basic CSV import by running an "all tickets" report in Spiceworks w/ the columns of interest. However, this method won't pick up all comments nor the attachments so I have switched to attempting to import the JSON file that is created via the export function w/in Spiceworks. I removed unrecognized and unnecessary user attributes, e.g. department, cell_phone, last_name, etc. leaving on the email and an "import_id". The import_id is reference w/in the "tickets" section of the JSON for for things like assigned_to, reporter, etc. The import does not recognize "import_id".

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Nestor Urquiza December 14, 2017
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2016

I successfully question completed the import. It was extremely painful and tedious with a number of spreadsheets along w/ manual edits. Then I had to do quite a bit of manual updates in JSD. If anyone desires the details I can provide as I captured my steps in Confluence.

Daniel Reis November 14, 2017

Hi @Jack Brickey, I know this is an old post, but could you send me some info on how you've done this? I'm about to do the same and for what I've been looking at around the interwebz it seems like I will have a lot of fun with several csv exports and manual changes around them...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2017

@Daniel Reis, it was definitely tedious but that was partly driven by trial and error. I have a document (confluence) that captured what I did. I'm happy to share with you but will need to export to word and clear out names, emails, etc. Too, I can't say that it is 100% accurate as I can't recall if I updated in the final days of the exercise or not but it is pretty close. When are you planning on starting the exercise? I can probably get to this later today/tonight.

Phill Purnell January 18, 2018

Hi I'm also in the process of moving from Spiceworks to Service Desk. So far imported 12,000 issues but only included the first email and no comments or notes. Is there a way of exporting them and adding them to existing issues? 

Randal Schmidt April 24, 2019

Do you still have your notes from moving from Spiceworks to Jira Service Desk?  Our Spiceworks is on premise and running on Windows 7.  This might be a good time to go to the cloud and eliminate the on premise help desk solution.  I have experience with Jira already including using Powershell to create tickets and update tickets and do additional filtered alerts. 

Suggest an answer