Has any functionality changed in 5.1 that would prevent us from moving a task to a sub-task of another task?

We believe that in the prior release, we had the ability to convert a task to a sub-task and the application would prompt you for the parent task. I have had users report that they can't do this.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes

Nope, it's all still there in 5.1

When your users say "they can't", could you get them to expand on what they're seeing? Do they have the option at all? Or does it fail part way through?

When they select the option to move the task to a sub-task, the issue type of sub-task is not an option even though the sub-task is part of the Default Issue type scheme defined to this particular project.

Hmm, ok. Bit of a long shot, but do the sub-tasks all have the same workflow and fields defined?

The sub-task actually has fewer fields required than the sub-task.

Are they trying to move the issue, or are they using the "Create to Sub-Task" function?

They need to use the "Convert to Sub-Task" function, not move function.

They are trying to move a task under the same project to a sub-task under a task within the same project.

We do not see a function on the menu to convert a task to a sub-task on release 5.1

As Nic says, do you have sub-tasks enabled:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Configuring+Sub-tasks#ConfiguringSub-tasks-Enablingsub-tasks

If so, you should see the option to convert to sub-task in the issue:

Sorry, for some reason it isn't adding my screenshot when I comment, trying to add it via answer instead.

It's on the issue view screen, not the menu.

It will only appear if the project has sub-tasks enabled (which is pretty obvious if you think about it - no point in showing it if you can't create sub-tasks in the proejct)

Oh, and make sure it's a top-level issue you are trying to convert to a sub-task - there's only two layers, so you won't be offered the convert option if it is already a sub-task type (you will get "change parent" in those cases, for moving it under a different top-level issue)

Just to be sure, has the issue you want to convert subtasks by itself? Then it won't be possible to convert it to a subtask!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,088 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot