Has Atlassian implemented a filter mechanism for the Epic Panel in the plan view?

Mick Flanigan April 17, 2013

We have multiple projects all with many epics, and each epic may or may not have stories and tasks associated to it. I am looking to be able to limit the epics that show on the epic panel with a filter. Easiest example is I ant to only show epics that are in Open or In Progress Satus, not closed Epics. Over tiem adn across many projects that the team works, we are seeing a verylarge list of Epics where most are closed or not relevant to the team. I can set a filter on teh issues showing up in the backlog, but I still see all the Epics on the far left.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
J
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2013

Hi Mick, I met you at Atlassian Summit in 2009, how've you been?

1 thing: closed epics should not be appearing in the epic panel. Are you using the "Mark as Done" menu item in the epic dropdown?

How many projects are on your board, and how many epics are you showing? How many are actually relevant and in play at any given time?

Is the board being used by just one team?

Mick Flanigan April 18, 2013

BTW that is another issue, we have multiple teams. However we are building boards to be team specific.

Hi Jay, yes that was a good night and a good long walk! Nice to hear from you again. We have up to 5 projects showing, and over 100 epics showing on teh lsiting. I will have to check with the teams to see if they are Markign as done. I did find another option though. On the board config filter, I created a filter search by issuetype Epic and status in (xxx) OR issutype bug AND status in (xxx) and so on, and it seems to work as well. Looks like there are a few options to solve this at this point, with some config work. I will try a few other ideas and post up here, and close this out shortly.

2 votes
Alex
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2013

Hey Mick,

I think the feature you are looking for is a way to remove epics from the "epic panel" based upon a customizable filter. This I do not think exists.

An workaround that you could do easily is to create a quick filter for issues in epic by status.

Heres a doc on how to configure your board which will show you step by step how to add quick filters.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH061/Configuring+a+Board

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks! I will give that a try too and see how that fits our model.

0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

You can filter the panel using our plugin Agile Board Filter for JIRA

panels.png

0 votes

OK looks like we have a few solutions that will work, not all the most graceful solutions, but one of the options above ios bound to help people out. Creating a filter and applying to the board that calls for issue type by issuetype filtration by status, if simply wanting to filter closed Epic's, making sure to "Mark as Done". Thansk all for the input!

Fabien Papleux September 5, 2013

But then each team can make up their own sprints, right? In my version, it seems like the sprints on each board are board-specific.... We want them at least project-specific...

Suggest an answer