Hardcode colours to Pie Chart gadget slices?

Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2012

My QA manager created this nice dashboard showing individual pie charts of each of our field releases showing open issues sorted by Priority. Our CEO was the first to point out that the blue slice on release A is blue and it represents Major issues while in release B the blue slice represents Critical issues. I believe the colour selection is based on the size of the slice and not what the slice represents. Is there a Pie Chart gadget where I can hardcode the colour based on its "Statistic Type" (i.e. Priority, etc)?

12 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2012
Chris Cooke Old Street Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 11, 2019

As PowerReport has been archived, I think it's fair to recommend Custom Charts here.

https://link.oldstreetsolutions.com/custom-charts-playground

7 votes
Tom Harris - Old Street
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2019

While Atlassian has decided not to consider the JAC ticket for this feature, we thought it was worth the effort.

Custom Charts for Jira is now available on Jira Cloud, Server and Data Center!

This is a simple app that allows you to select the colors of your pie chart, change the order of the segments, and hide segments you don't want to see. Create professional custom pie charts on Jira dashboards that don't look like they've been made in MS paint on Windows 95...

The interactive demo playground shows you how it works without even installing the app: https://link.oldstreetsolutions.com/custom-charts-playground

We're adding new features all the time to this app, so any feedback on how to improve it would be appreciated.

There's also a companion Confluence app that has identical features so you can add high quality custom pie charts to your Confluence pages.

Custom_Charts_for_Jira_Playground.png

7 votes
Chris Smirl December 14, 2017

Pie charts would be a great display to have side by side for each project.  We would like to use Status but need to be able to select the color of each status in order to be consistent.  This should not be hard and the customer should not have to change the code to do this.

This would make the pie chart a useful tool for management to get a quick glance at the statuses of multiple projects with standard colors like red, yellow, and green.

4 votes
Wayne Bryan April 25, 2019

This was posted in 2012, why 7 years later are we stuck with a nearly useless pie chart like something out of the 80s. 

Does Atlassian read these threads?

Is there a feature requests issue languishing somewhere?  

Wait I found a bunch https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=type%20%3D%20Suggestion%20AND%20statusCategory%20!%3D%20Done%20and%20summary%20~%20%22pie%20chart%22%20%20order%20by%20created&startIndex=50

Upvote and comment on this one

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-42158

4 votes
Bruno Ritagliati July 10, 2015

I'm seeking the same assistance.

It is frustrating to have four pie charts with different colours for same status across all.

PowerReport add-on is not available for Cloud: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.valiantys.jira.plugins.reporting

Michael Haley August 12, 2015

Bruno + Brent – agreed, this is annoying, no resolution I take it? It makes it basically impossible to compare pie charts

Like Matthew Willmore likes this
Peter Kembro September 14, 2015

Has this been considered by Atlassian?

Like Matthew Willmore likes this
Melanie Binks September 23, 2015

Same here - Changing colours as things get closed out is possibly even more annoying than not matching across pie charts. Please allow us to choose colours, or at least a sort order or something for colours?

Jacque L Fryday October 17, 2017

We need to set colors in a pie chart to reflect tickets by Priority, so that colors always remain the same for the priorities, as follows:

• P0 - Blocker Emergency (always RED)
  • P1 - Critical/High (always ORANGE)
  • P2 - Major/Medium (always BLUE)
  • P3- Minor/Low (always GREEN)
  • P4 - Trivial (always GRAY)
3 votes
Kevin Shanahan January 30, 2015

The link to PowerReport Plugin (above) is broken

2 votes
DJ (61 429 578 954) April 7, 2019

Just started using pie charts on a large programme and the different colours issues is very confusing. Would really like a way to set colours please.

Ashley Duffy May 15, 2019

I see you're looking into this too, DJ. Seems to be based on relative sizes. From what I've heard currently a commercial license is needed to modify the gadget code.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 30, 2019

It's simple to chose the color of your pie charts in Jira with this confluence add-on.

It's very easy to use the color picker, so your charts can be consistent.

You can even use HEX codes if needed.

Let me know how you get on with it, it should help!

There's even a demo playground to get a feel for it.

It's currently a Confluence add-on, but the Jira only version is coming soon.

Bill Tanner July 15, 2019

We really need this.  How soon will the Jira version be available?

OSS Apps August 4, 2019

Hey Bill, the Jira Server and Data Center version is now available on the Atlassian Marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220925/custom-charts-for-jira

The Cloud version will be launching in September 2019 :)

1 vote
David Liebefinke June 24, 2020

Is there no chance, that atlassian will fix this issue in the native Jira Pie-Charts for Confluence? Should be no big Deal I guess and I am facing this issue in every Software Company I've worked in.

1 vote
Marketplace Partner
July 11, 2019

Color Picker for custom jira charts.png

1 vote
Peter Rylands June 13, 2018

We're finding this really frustrating too. Devs getting particularly annoyed that "Done" is sometimes blue, or even red. Whilst the more logical green is used for something else. 

It also means we can't run comparisons across our development teams - to at least gauge progress through our sprint.

0 votes
Edward Moore March 10, 2021

There's no fix and they don't care. 

0 votes
Richard Prigorodon April 15, 2019

I have the same problem and this is extremely annoying, is there any news about a fix? I am using jira 7.12.1

Suggest an answer