Handling licenses when switching to another JIRA instance

Eric Kaiser August 27, 2014

Hi there; we've got the following situation:

We currently have JIRA 5.2.11 running on one server (25-user license, support expired), and the most recent JIRA, including JIRA Agile, on another (evaluation licenses). We plan to make the latter productive soon, and keep the former as an archive.

This is what I assume needs to be done:

1. Buy a JIRA Agile license for the new server.
  2. Use the existing JIRA license on the old one (since, to my understanding, one license can be used for multiple instances as long as there's only one production instance).
  3. Change the JIRA license on the old server to the corresponding "developer license".

Is that about right, or is there anything I fundamentally misunderstood? If so, what needs to be done instead?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Eric Kaiser September 7, 2014

Actually, it turns out we both overlooked something - the new version we're using was released after our support expired, and that meant we had to renew the license (an additional $600). Makes sense in hindsight, but I didn't anticipate that.

0 votes
CEDRIC ZABEL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2014

Yeah, that sounds right. Remember that your JIRA Agile license has to match your JIRA license. In your case, a 25-user license.

Suggest an answer