Handling automatically generated e-mail updates from another Jira instance

svickman May 21, 2015

Hi, 

I have a question regarding connecting different Jira-instances. My company has connected Jira to a mail server to automatically create issues from received e-mails. Usually e-mail answers automatically creates comments on the created issue.

We have a customer who also uses Jira and we are getting update e-mails to our mail server which is automatically registered as new issues. The problem is that these update e-mails are not added as comments in our Jira instance, but as new issues. This means that we get a lot of issues concerning the same thing, and the issues are poorly formated for assigning our developers.

We would like these issue updates to automatically merge in to the first existing issue of the conversation. The best scenario would be if Jira could recognize the changes made from the e-mail updates and automatically update changes of the issue in our Jira instance as well. Is this possible? how do we implement this in our Jira instance to be able to handle these e-mal updates in a better way?

Best Regards

Sara

2 answers

0 votes
svickman May 26, 2015

Thank you for your reply!

I was a bit unclear in my question. The customer has its own instance of JIRA and is not using our JIRA. We have access to their JIRA to make comments but still want to register the issues in our JIRA.

1. The customer creates the issue in their own JIRA instance and assigns it to us, which triggers an email that will automatically create a issue in our JIRA instance. When the issue is updated in the customers JIRA and the issue is assigned to us, we will get email updates which creates new issues instead of adding comments to the existing one. 
  2. We are running JIRA 6.2.7

Regards,

Sara

0 votes
jose_castro May 26, 2015

"We have a customer who also uses Jira and we are getting update e-mails to our mail server which is automatically registered as new issues. The problem is that these update e-mails are not added as comments in our Jira instance, but as new issues."

1. If I understand this right. A customer will reply back to an update from a JIRA ticket and instead of adding the reply as a comment it's creating new correct? 
  2. What version of JIRA are you running? 

It might be worth looking at Create comments past a specific marker might clean things up a bit as well. Please let me know the answers to the above and we'll see if we can't get you up and running. 

Thanks,
Ramiro Castro
Support Engineer

Suggest an answer