Handling JIRA with several board.

Eitan Mizrahi June 26, 2017

Hello,

I am using JIRA on cloud (Jira Software).

The board are for marketing purpose (with the people related), and for development purpose.

There are several customers which need to handle meetings, etc.

So I made several boards - One (Or two) for the customers, and one for the development.

Since we are a very small company, the human-resources are the same, and for me as a CTO, I need handling meetings, and also manage developers. Sometimes also handle the director and the CEO (Sometime they handle me in some way).

That may happen, when there are circumstances that I need to combine between two boards issues, but as far as I saw, there I see that boards are major, and cannot be combine.

What is your suggest to handle several board and combine them (how?) or just one board for all issues, or one board for scram-master (when I handle the board or someone else), but there is kind of problem, it is a mass, and I need to organized all of the issues from all of the boards (to handle time ...)

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

Sounds like you need lots of boards.

Remember that a board is not a container for issues, it selects the issues you want to include.  The issues are the things you will be working on.

So for each board, you should select the issues relevant to that board.  If you want to have a board represent a mix of others, then give it a filter that selects the same issues that both boards are selecting

For example, if board 1 has "Project = XYZ" and board 2 has "Project = ABC and issue type = bug", then a "combined" board should have a filter of "Project = XYZ or (Project = ABC and issue type = bug)"

Eitan Mizrahi June 26, 2017

I just want to know what is the propare way handling boards/projects/issues in JIRA.

Is a board used for one scram-master in general?

Are board most of the time fixed and not changed/deleted for a long period?

And for now, I didn't see any ability to attach several projects to one board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2017

There is no one way to use boards, projects and issues, it depends on your processes and users.

JIRA Software was built with the Agile methodologies in mind, so you have Kanban boards and Scrum boards.  A Scrum-master will tend to want to use a Scrum board because it does sprints, backlog, planning and velocity stuff, all of which is part of the the Scrum way of doing it.  But a Scrum master may not only have one team, and so use several.  And a lot of people find the boards have features that help them with their processes without them being particularly Scrum or Kanban.

Boards are expected to be fluid, not static.  Most should be used daily, to track the work.

You don't attach anything to a board, a board selects issues.  It can select from one project, but can easily select from many.  The board filter determines that.

You should try to work out what a project means to your users.  Is it a collection of issues by team?  Or by product?  Or by type of thing you're trying to do?

Boards are easier to work out then.  Once you know what your projects are for, then it's almost always going to be a team that uses a board to see what is happening in their stream of work, collaborate on the issues the board selects, and yes, sometimes that will be a single project.

Suggest an answer