HTTP error 503 while restoring

Deleted user December 29, 2017

Hi, on the last working day at work, seeking for your input (any idea) why all of sudden the jira site showing http error 503 during restoring a zip to an empty fresh instance,  last part of log from atlassian-jira-security seems to have starting time and crashing time,  as below: 

2017-12-29 11:23:35,865 ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]] HttpSession [1iut739] destroyed for 'anonymous'
2017-12-29 12:21:39,215 ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]] HttpSession [1j0p4o4] destroyed for 'anonymous'

other log containing many DEBUG messages, but I don't know which one causing the problem. After a restart, still error 503, so any chance to bring this jira site up again ? 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2018

Since you are performing a system restore, I would not really expect there to be other user sessions to the site at this time.  That system restore will be populating the database of this Jira instance will all sorts of data, workflows, issues, projects, configurations, but also user accounts.  

If you have another people or scripts trying to connect to the Jira site at that URL for some reason, I would not expect them to be able to login just yet, at least not until the restore has completed successfully and populated the necessary tables in the database.

With a system restore, it is important to make sure that all the data was restored correctly.  When looking through the atlassian-jira.log file you will see a % progress that indicates from 1% to 100% just as to how much of the data has been restored so far.  If the logs do not indicate that the restore reached 100%, then there is likely something wrong here.

If you see any kind of SQL Exception errors during a process like a restore, that tends to be an indication that some data has not been restored correctly from your backup and it's possible that could be just about any data.  If you do see this, then it's important to focus on the table name and other details of the exception to understand how to address this problem.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2018

On a side note, I was thinking about a recently resolved bug that could prevent JIra from starting up correctly if a user was trying to load a resource during the startup.  It might not apply here, but it might be worth checking for in the details of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-62486   Note that this bug has been fixed as a 7.6.1

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events