HTTP Status 500 [...] Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (User not found: SA

A May 6, 2013

Hi,

I've just encountered a error while trying to access my JIRA-system. I have a local database with me as the sole user. I haven't done any changes to the system, nor the JIRA instance.

When I try to access the site, I get this message:

HTTP Status 500 - com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (User not found: SA)

type Exception report

message com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (User not found: SA)

description The server encountered an internal error (com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (User not found: SA)) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception [...]

I've read this solution https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/110284/cannot-access-jira-page-after-upgrade-from-5-1-7-to-version-5-2 which seems to give the same result.

I've tried to delete the plugins, with negative result. I've located the dbconfig.xml file, but don't know how to telnet to the database. This is the url stated in the config-file though:

<url>jdbc:hsqldb:D:\gmbaej\JIRA/database/jiradb</url>

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

Hi there,

Just a question, are you using the HSQL for testing purposes, if that is the case, you might want to try follow the steps below to check if whether your HSQL is corrupted or not.

If this is your first installation, then I would suggest just removing the entire <tt><JIRA-home>/database</tt> folder and re-create it. That will remove all previous data and set JIRA into a factory state. In your case, it is better to move to another folder as a backup and see if you are able to start up fresh.

The best recommendation I can give is to use an external database like postgres or mysql as the hsqldb is an in memory database.

Hope this helps :)

A May 6, 2013

You could say testing... I have a 10-license JIRA just for my own purpose - I don't have access to a external db at work.

I did what you said and restored the system - everything seems to work fine. Thank you!

richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2013

It is my pleasure to assist you as well, and I strongly encourage for your to use external database for your future usage to avoid similar problem from happening again.

Cheers :)

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013

did anthing happen on your drive "D:" ?

i assume this is a testing environment...(jira on windows with hsqldb in the back)

if you feel safe you could try moving the dbconfig.xml file to a different location and force jira to recreate it....during startup it will ask you wich database to connect...enter credentials and location from previosly moved dbconfig.xml file....

if it won't work take a look at jira_home directory...there should be a dir called "export"...unless you didn't disabled auto-backup you should be able to restore your old instance from ${depends on your setup}

let me know how it goes

A May 6, 2013

Thanks for your answer:)

No, nothing have happend to my drive, as I know..

I renamed the dbconfig-file and got this message (I also had to manually delete the "JIRA\plugins\.osgi-plugins\felix\felix-cache"-folder):

As you said I have a backup, but I had hoped that wouldn't be necessary..

Suggest an answer