HOW TO EXCLUDE issues in an epic (JQL)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

HI

I want to exclude issues which are part of a certain epic in my filter query. how do i do it.

I know i can search issues in an epic using, epic link=ABC-123 but how do i exclude issues in a certain epic.

It seems, epic link !=ABC-123 or epic link NOT IN (ABC-123)

does not seem to work.

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Using "not" with epic links only seems to return issue where the epic link is not empty. So you have to do something like this:

not ("Epic Link" = ABC-3769) or "Epic Link" is empty and (backlog query)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2014

yes that worked, i add this to the JQL AND("Epic Link" is null OR "Epic Link"!=ABC-123). Thanks Jamie.

Like Vanessa Sibley likes this
Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) June 12, 2018

Tried this (just the 'not "Epic LInk" = ABC-3769' to filter out / hide all items in that epic, but it keeps over-filtering (grabs tickets that are in a different epic). I had the same issue with "Epic Link" != ABC-3769.

Any way to get around what appears to be a weird bug?

Like # people like this
3 votes
Jana Skokanová _ADMIN_ February 21, 2020

Hi everyone, does anybody know if this issue has been already reported to Atlassian as a bug? Or is this weird JQL behaviour considered to be okay and is somewhere described as a feature?

Lauren Pennisi August 3, 2020

I would appreciate a solution too. I'm trying to exclude tickets linked to an epic from my Kanban board but cannot seem to use epic link to do it.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer