HELP -dates on csv import

andrew Tobias October 11, 2017

Hi there,

I'm trying to import dates into JIRA from a CSV file using this format:

dd/mmm/yy hh:mm

However every time it shows an error confirming the dates cant be accessed. I was advised on a help board that i need to ensure the Date format in JIRA matches that in my CSV, however when i go into advanced settings - Look and feel - date & time...there is no option for me to look at the existing date format or even change it.

Can you please advise what i do next?

Thanks,

Andy

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

I've never seen that error message before, but here are a couple things to try and troubleshoot:

• Are you trying to update Due Dates for issues via CSV import? If so, make sure you have the "Schedule Issues" permission for that project or projects. Not sure if that permission affects the CSV import or not, but you normally have to have that permission to view/edit an issue's Due Date.
  • When using the import wizard, what are you entering in the "Date format" field? By default, this field uses the format dd/MMM/yy h:mm a, so if you have a different format in your CSV file, you need to update this field in the import wizard (or update your CSV file to match this format)
andrew Tobias October 13, 2017

Thanks Alex i have since worked out where i was going wrong....i was using lowercase 'mmm' which represents minutes instead of uppercase 'MMM' which represents months!!! 

All sorted thanks.

Margaret Wehr May 10, 2019

Hi Andrew & Alex - Could you help with this? I'm trying to import with Due Dates via CSV import using the default date format and haven't had success yet:

dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

I've opened the CSV in Notepad and tried the following formats:

21/may/19 1:00 a

21/MAY/19 1:00 a

What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2019

@Margaret Wehr have you tried this format in your CSV?

21/May/19 1:00 AM

think that the "MMM" is case-sensitive, so you need to capitalize the first letter in "May," and I believe that the "a" requires an "AM" or "PM" value instead of just the "a" you have.

Like Margaret Wehr likes this

Suggest an answer