HELP: Custom Fields & Printed Output / Reports

Brad Murdoch February 13, 2014

I have the requirement to create a page in Jira / Confulence.

I need to create a form with custom fields for weekly status reports containing Risks / Issues / Project Updates / Action Items etc.

This will be used to report further up the organisational chain.

Managers will populate the fields each week, in a set structure.
The form will then be saved to look back at, and it should be printable in PDF.
It is very simple what I require.

What is the best way to do this?
What is the best product to use, can this be done with templates or is there a better way to implement this?

I want to do it with minimum development. Can it be done out of the box?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2014

This is fairly trivial, and you can (should) do this solely in JIRA at the cost of some customization.

Confluence is not a good choice for handling this type of structured data.

1. You should represent each of those domain objects ("Risks / Issues / Project Updates / Action Items") by issue types. For each issue type, customize the fields, and then the Create Issue screen will be your "form".
  2. Set up a saved JQL filter that returns the issues created in the current week (or the last 7 day, whichever fits your business rules).
  3. Then use the JIRA PDF View Plugin to export the result of your filter to PDF. The plugin is shipped with a Project Report template, use that as starting point and customize that to your needs.

Suggest an answer