Guest Access to a single project

Joel Sedlacko May 4, 2014

I have outside contractors that I need to be able to update the kanban board/edit issues, but only for one project. I know there is a way of allowing anonymous access, but I am confused on how to do this and if I can restrict it so that only the one project is accessible.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2014

You don't want anonymous access - it will let people change stuff without logging in - untracable and you can't restrict it to just your users.

To limit people to a single project, you probably need to unpick the default settings which are pretty much "if you can log in, you are a user in every project" becasue the group "jira users" is used to log in *and* as a default "these people can use the project" setting too.

Once you've unpicked that, you can create users who can only log in, then add them to the single project you need them in.

Joel Sedlacko May 4, 2014

Thank you, Nic. One more question, then: is it not possible to grant a user not from my company, but an outside contractor, temporary access, say for a month, without using a license?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2014

No. All users take up a licence seat. You could try to arrange people's holidays around your contractors visit or something, but they'll need an account.

danelige June 24, 2020

This is the single biggest factor against using Jira... I dont like Asana but it DOES have a generous guest functionality.

Suggest an answer