Groups question

Gregory Hicks October 12, 2011

Hey everyone,

So i have been tasked to users only be able to see their own projects in JIRA. I noticed that the default Jira Users group has access to see every project in JIRA and if someone is removed from that group they can no longer login. I'm not sure how this group works or how I can create a new group that can allow people to login just not see all the projects. This was I can add people so they can only see the projects they're assigned too.

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks

Greg

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2011

Yup, that's one way to do it.

1. Create a new group called something like "jira login"

2. Add all your active users into it.

3. Don't use it anywhere else

4. Add it to the global "users can login" permission

5. Keep Jira-users as it is, but *remove it from the login permission* in the global permissions.

You are still going to have to go through your projects and remove jira-users from them and/or remove users from the group, but at least this way, you won't interrupt current usage. And new users won't go into jira-users automatically.

Brilliant! thanks i'm taking that rout.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2011

Let's say all the project use the same permission scheme. In that perm scheme you change the Browse permission so that only the *role* Users is there.

Then you make sure the jira-users group is not in the Users role for any project, and each user that should have permissions to the project is added to the Users role (and whatever other roles they need).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2011

There's two things here. First, look at Admin -> Global permissions. You'll see "jira users" in the "can log in" permission. Secondly, look at the project permissions. You'll find that uses "jira users" for all sorts of permissions.

The standard thing we tell everyone is don't do it this way. Use "jira users" in the global permission, and NOWHERE else. Set up new groups, or use roles in projects. (Groups are under Admin -> Users if you are using Jira internal user maintenance).

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Groups for more!

Well the issue is, even if I add new groups and add people to those groups they still have to be apart of the JIRA-Users group which can see all the projects in Jira. From the info you gave me, it seems as if I can't just remove Jira-Users from all the projects because that group is completely intgrated within all projects. Is there a way I can create a new "Can log in" group? Dang this doesn't look good. I need to figure out a way to have people login and be apart of a group that cant see anything until I add them to a project.

Suggest an answer