Group usage in Cloud?

AlexM March 20, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: View, create, or delete a group

This article mentions that before you delete a group, it is a good idea to: "Check whether the group is being used by any permission schemes, email notification schemes, issue security levels, or saved filters."

When I view a particular group in our JIRA Cloud instance, no usage information is displayed.  Is there another way to get this information before I delete a group?

2 answers

2 votes
Grayson Bishop September 25, 2019

This is not currently supported by Atlassian in Cloud, which is very frustrating. I'd recommend voting for the issue to gain support: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-36740

Narendra Kumar April 8, 2020

@Grayson Bishop any idea how can I find out number of projects which are using any specific group for JIRA cloud? Thanks!

Grayson Bishop April 8, 2020

Hey @Narendra Kumar, we were able to request a report from Atlassian support with every place a specific group is used. They weren't able to map out our entire instance, but they seemed willing to pull this report for handful of groups.

The report included all dashboards, filters, project roles, and permissions shared with/assigned to that group

Like Lars Boldt Pedersen likes this
Narendra Kumar April 10, 2020

ok thanks @Grayson Bishop 

0 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2016

HI Alex,

In standard JIRA it is easy:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-identify-group-usage-in-jira-441221524.html

In cloud you can always create a dummy user and add him to groups which you would like to check. I don't know more sophisticated method to check it in cloud JIRA.

Regards

AlexM March 20, 2016

How would adding a dummy user help me check how the group is being used?  I'm looking to see if the group is being used by any permission schemes, email notification schemes, issue security levels, or saved filters.

Like Sara likes this
Vicki Lea Tsang April 2, 2018

If you add a dummy user to a group, you can see, via the "View Jira Project Roles" in the User Management screen for the dummy user, which project roles it has inherited for each project. This doesn't show you which email notification schemes, issue security levels, or saved filters the group is being used by, but it does give you some information about which projects are associated with the group and is a starting point.

Like Lars Boldt Pedersen likes this
Narendra Kumar April 8, 2020

Hey @Vicki Lea Tsang it's not clear for me. Could you please let me know something more about it in details. Thanks in advance!!

Suggest an answer