Group role being automatically added to new projects during creation

Nathan Knight April 15, 2021

I'm having a difficult time understanding permissions and roles in Jira. Here's my issue.

1) Creation of new project

2) A specific group role will always be assigned to the newly created project under Project Settings -> People

3) I have to manually remove this role every time a project is created

How can I stop this group role from being automatically assigned to every newly created project?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

This is one that makes sense when you hear it, but I think is not in a very intuitive place and it's hard to find when you first need it!

Go to Admin -> System -> Project Roles and check out each of the roles "manage default members"

Nathan Knight April 16, 2021

Thank you so much! That was it.

Justin Garrett September 13, 2023

Hi Nic,

I am currently trying to find out how to edit / remove some of the default roles which get added to each comapany-managed project that is created

I can see the project role browser and I can see the list of roles but what I do not understand from your above solution is the part around "manage default members".

Two problems, firstly none of the rules have default members within them when I click that link. Secondly, we have more roles in the browser than is getting added to each project so how is that part defined? I would like to have defaults added I just cannot for the life of me work out how that is defined.

Hope you can help! 

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2023

It sounds like you are looking at the project role browser in a project.  You need to go to Admin -> System -> Project roles, not the browser.

For example

Screenshot_2023-07-05_21-13-27.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2023

Note that this only applies to Company-managed projects.  Team-managed projects have their own local roles and the defaults for them are built into the template when you create the project.

Like Justin Garrett likes this
Justin Garrett September 13, 2023

Hey Nic, 

Thank you for the swift response!

I am definitely looking in the project roles in Admin -> System -> Project roles... it is called project role browser at the top of that page.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 11.44.12.png

We have a list of project roles there, some are what I think are referred to as system roles (?) and some which we have created ourselves

What defines which of these roles appears in a new project? The Jira documentation seems to say that this is controlled by whether they are used in a permission scheme associated with the new project or is there somewhere else that controls which of these roles are associated with any new project? 

It doesn't  100% appear that this is being controlled by the permission scheme simply due to the fact that a custom role we had created was appearing in every new project even though I had already removed it from all of our default permissions schemes

I am missing something but I cannot put my finger on it lol 

Thanks for the help again 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2023

Ok,

Nothing controls what roles appear in a project.  All roles appear in all projects.  

Whether you choose to use them in your permission scheme (or workflow, or fields) is up to the project configuration.

Justin Garrett September 14, 2023

Hi Nic,

Are you saying that all roles which exist in that Project Role Browser (both default and our own customs ones) are added to each and every project or is there some hidden list of system roles which get added? 

I will have a clear out of the roles from there as a start because as I said, some were appearing some weren't.

The UX of Jira is confusing at times and doesn't explain itself very well imo

Thank you for your continued help!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events