Group assigned to a Project through Permission Scheme, but doesn't work for second Project

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2014

Hello,

We are setting up Jira 6.2. I have read a lot about Groups, Roles, Projects and Permission Schemes.

- We have a bunch of users (not yet everybody)
- Each user is in a group (not yet everybody)
- Our Projects are the parts of the organisation (all set with a Project Lead in it)

I am testing how the permission schemes works, but I get stuck:
(https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Configure+permissions)

1. Create a project role for a specific project, e.g. Test1: UserA on Project1 but not UserB. (In the future this will e a group of users)
2. Configure a new permission scheme: I copied the default and added the Project Role in step 1 to Browse Projects.
3. Associate the persmisson scheme to Project1.
4. Tested with the 2 users and Yes it worked!

BUT:
I did the whole thing again for Project2, but now with
Test2: UserB on Project2 but not UserA. (So, that's the opposite)
This because I'm gonna have 8 Projects and therefore(?) 8 Groups.
But now both users can't see any of the 2 projects.
And putting both the Project Roles at that Browse-option doens't seem to do the trick either

My questions:
1. How is this possible?
2. I understood that you don't need permission schemes for each project and you should get it worked fine with the default scheme and Global Permissions, but I don't understand how I should do it then. I just want the users in the Groups to see the Project the Group is assigned to.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2014

Ok, step back and do the basics.

First, let's say you have 8 projects, and 8 groups of users - i.e. one group per project

The most simple way to handle this is:

• Create (or reuse) a single permission scheme.
  • Create (or reuse) a single role, let's call it MyRole
  • In your new permission scheme, put in "Browse: Role: MyRole"
  • In ALL your projects, make sure they are using the permission scheme
  • In EACH project, go to roles and users, and add the project group for that project into the role of MyRole

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2014

That worked! I don't fully understand, probably because I didn't do that last step, but it works!

Now I just have to set up the rest of this Permission Scheme!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2014

Yes, groups are intuitive (user goes in group, group can do X), but roles take a little getting used to. They're a lot more flexible than groups though, well worth working through them!

0 votes
Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2014

Thanks for that! I will!

Suggest an answer