Group Membership list

duane September 13, 2018

This is not a BITBUCKET or JIRA administrator level request - this is for an AVERAGE user.

What i describe here is what I saw at a previous employer- they used this method to join various GROUPs - Access to things could be granted via specific user NAME or By way of GROUP name.  The GROUP name also served as a mailing list name. It was VERY helpful and VERY useful.

======

I want three things - this is for JIRA and BITBUCKET and CONFLUENCE

As a *NON*ADMIN* user - I should be able to - and need this feature:

REQUEST (A) you have today a LIST OF PEOPLE - with mug shots.

What is MISSING and I want you to add is a list of GROUPS the person belongs to.

When displaying the list of groups -

OPTION 1 - show them in TWO lists:  (Group 1) groups that we SHARE in common (I belong and they belong) and (Group 2) list of groups that they belong to, and I do not belong to.

OR - OPTION 2 - Lists the groups in multiple columns - IF that person AND myself BOTH belong to the same group THEN show the group name in BOLD,  ELSE show the group name in NORMAL text.

I should be able to CLICK on any group and see the details of the group.

REQUEST (B) What is MISSING is a means to LIST OF GROUPS with descriptions.

(This should be right below or next to the VIEW PEOPLE item)

This can be shown in two ways: 

OPTION 1 - As two separate lists - (group 1) the list of groups that I belong to, and (group 2) the list of groups that I do not belong to.

OR OPTION 2 - If i am a member of that group THEN display the name in BOLD, ELSE show the group name in NORMAL.

REQUEST (C) When displaying a group (something you do not have)

Minimally - List the *OWNER* of the group and contact information for that person.

BETTER - It would be great if groups could be self administering.

1) A CLICK button LEAVE a group,

2) A CLICK button to JOIN a group - Some groups might be "automatic-approval"

3) A CLICK button to REQUEST (from the owner) to JOIN the group.

1 answer

0 votes
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2018

Have you also raised these as feature requests? eg for BitBucket at https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/BSERV/summary

duane September 14, 2018

See: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-11148

This is a HUGE problem every repo effectively has to have everybody added manually because we do not have a simple means to answer these questions

Average (non-admin) user need to be able to determine:

1) Please show a list of [security] group names.

2) Please show a membership list for Group (NAME)

3) Who is the OWNER or MANAGER or ADMIN of Group(NAME) [So I can request membership]

4) Person (X) has access, Person (Y) needs access (effectively Person(Y) needs to be added to some Group(NAME) - but I don't know who owns the group. I don't know if it is the correct group or not, Having answers to (1/2/3) above would solve this.

Suggest an answer