Group Jira filter results by a specific field (Group By)

Bert Michaud April 16, 2014

I'm looking for a way to group Jira filter results by a specific field and control the columns that are displayed to summarize the information. For example, I want to review:

• All open tasks by sprint
  • All open tasks by assigned developer
  • All issues by technology domain
  • etc.

The "Single Level Group By Report" is basically what I'm looking for except that I can't control the columns that are shown. So I'm not getting the critical information that I need in my summary.

A confluence page would do fine. I tried the Jira Issue macro but it doesn't give me any formatting options. It's just a list of issues exactly like Jira. I may as well use Jira.

I found an awesome twiki plugin that does exactly what I want: http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/JiraPlugin. It offers the perfect mix of control and simplicity: I can manage my JQL query and control the formatting including Group By.

How can I get this functionality using Jira and/or Confluence?

2 answers

0 votes
Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2017

@Bert Michaud - You may want to give EazyBI a try. it's available for Cloud and Server. It may be overkill for a single report, but you may find your organization could use it in other contexts.

If you're comfortable with writing SQL queries and use Confluence, you could use the Bob Swift SQL add-on which lets you run queries and display their results (as a table, as a chart, etc.) within a Confluence page. This recipe gives you a quick sense of how it would work.

0 votes
tier-0 grump
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2014

You'll need to do a bit of coding, but this tutorial - https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Creating+a+JIRA+Report, specifically the 'Single Level Group By Extended report' should get you there. the good news is the code is downloadable, so much of the hard lifting has been done.

Bert Michaud April 16, 2014

Thanks - that would accomplish the goal. Unfortunately I don't have admin access so this will be difficult to get done. I'll see if we can plan it out with the admins.

I'm frustrated that the product has 2 extremes: on the one extreme, the product tries to think for me and only provides very basic formatting options. On the other extreme, I have to code up a plugin to add a column to a report.

What I'm really looking for is something like what that Twiki Jira plugin offers (see link in my original post). It has some really straight forward table formatting capabilities with no coding. I could create 6 different custom reports in less than 1 hour.

Is there any other option? Maybe a way to do it in Confluence without using the Jira Issues Macro? (it doesn't allow for any formatting)

Calman Drysdale March 26, 2017

I very much agree with Bert... the prerequisites for that tutorial are pretty damn specific! I don't want to become a Java / Apache Velocity template developer to get a grouped report in Confluence! This  seems like an obvious want and it would be good if it was out of the box in Confluence or JIRA.

Prerequisite knowledge

To complete this tutorial, you need to know the following: 

• The basics of Java development: classes, interfaces, methods, how to use the compiler, and so on.
  • How to create an Atlassian plugin project using the Atlassian Plugin SDK.
  • The basics of using and administering JIRA.
  • This tutorial also involves creating Apache Velocity templates. To extend the tutorial code, you should have a good handle on how Velocity templates work.

Suggest an answer