Groovy post script clone with customfields to description

Kevin Lynch March 15, 2013

I need to make the description containing a UserPicker custom field 10436 'Reports To' value and DatePicker custom field 10434 'Start Date' value. The current values in the ticket are 'Test User' which corresponds to username 'tuser' and '15/Mar/13'

issue.description = 'Reports To=' + cfValues['Reports To'] + '\nStart Date=' + cfValues['Start Date']

Output shows null in the description:

Reports To=null

Start Date=null

I want the output to be

Reports To=tuser

Start Date=15/Mar/13

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Lynch March 26, 2013

okay, found the answer in the response to https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/70050/why-do-i-get-a-null-pointer-exception-when-try-to-execute-a-post-function

The field that you want to take with you from the original issue is not also available to the cloned issue/project, the value will be null. You must make the fields available to both projects and issues of the original and clone issue. You DO NOT have to place the field on any screens.

Therefore, the following worked just fine, and the values where passed to the cloned ticket and placed (overwrote) the Descriptions field.

issue.summary = issue.summary + ' (separation ticket from HR)'
issue.description = 'Reports To=' + cfValues['Reports To'] + '\nStart Date=' + cfValues['Start Date']
issue.assigneeId = 'sysadmin'

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2013

What context is this... some kind of post-function?

What happens if the user has entered a description, do you want to just overwrite it?

Kevin Lynch March 17, 2013

Yes, it is a post-function and yes, I want the description over written with the Reports To and Start Date information.

Thanks

Kevin Lynch March 19, 2013

I also tried the below, but am getting:

javax.script.ScriptException: javax.script.ScriptException: java.lang.NullPointerException

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager

def componentManager = ComponentManager.instance
def customFieldManager = componentManager.getCustomFieldManager()

def rt = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName('Reports To')
def sd = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName('Start Date')

issue.description = 'Report To=' + issue.getCustomFieldValue(rt) +'\nStart Date=' + issue.getCustomFieldValue(sd)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

Add some logging so you can see what exactly is null... could be one of the custom fields for instance/

Kevin Lynch March 22, 2013

Sorry, what package name should I log for?

Kevin Lynch March 24, 2013

Which package should I add to logging? thanks

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2013

You can just add some log.warn() statements. You will add the logging statements to your code, rather than turn logging on from some other package.

Log Continued...

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.DateCFType.getDefaultValue(DateCFType.java:128)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.DateCFType.getDefaultValue(DateCFType.java:51)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.getDefaultValue(CustomFieldImpl.java:1124)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueImpl.getCustomFieldValue(IssueImpl.java:942)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue$getCustomFieldValue.call(Unknown Source)
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:42)
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:108)
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:116)
at Script25.run(Script25.groovy:10)
at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.eval(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:315)
... 207 more

Okay, I've moved a little farther. But still can't figure out how to pull the original issue value. I ran the below in Script Runner and it pulls the values correctly from the Issue.

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentManager.getInstance().getCustomFieldManager()
issueOld = ComponentManager.getInstance().getIssueManager().getIssueObject("HR-823")
def cf = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(10434)

def sd = issueOld.getCustomFieldValue(cf)

System.out.println(sd)

I modified my post function so I could hopefully see the output of the value in the logs, but it still has an problem.

def cf1 = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(10436)
def cf2 = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(10434)

rt = issue.getCustomFieldValue(cf1)
sd = issue.getCustomFieldValue(cf2)

System.out.println('Reports To=' + rt)
System.out.println('Start Date=' + sd)

My next comment will contain the log data

Part 1 of log

2013-03-26 11:40:13,699 http-apr-8080-exec-20 ERROR klynch 700x6222x1 1oxtgcn 10.1.74.16 /secure/CommentAssignIssue.jspa [onresolve.jira.groovy.GroovyFunctionPlugin] Error executing post-function
javax.script.ScriptException: javax.script.ScriptException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.eval(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:117)
at javax.script.AbstractScriptEngine.eval(AbstractScriptEngine.java:233)
at javax.script.ScriptEngine$eval.call(Unknown Source)
at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.canned.utils.ConditionUtils.doAdditional(ConditionUtils.groovy:102)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor2147.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:90)
at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:927)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1001)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:1770)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
Caused by: javax.script.ScriptException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.eval(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:318)
at org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.eval(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:111)
... 206 more

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2013

Your println statements have gone to a different log... can you change the println to log.warn, and look for that output in the log.

I put the following, but catalina.out shows the same thing as before.

log.warn('Reports To=' + rt)
log.warn('Start Date=' + sd)

changed to:

log.warn(rt)
log.warn(sd)

The log is 227 lines and 21410 characters, so I can't post it. But it's the same output as what I posted in the two posts above.

Suggest an answer