Groovy Script Runner syntax for "is Null"

Jeannette Lamb March 27, 2014

I have a JIRA custom field that is populated based on the value of another custom field. If the first field is null, I want the field I am populating to also be null. What is the proper syntax for "is null" in the first line shown below? It works without that line but will default to "Low". I need it to default to null or actually do nothing.

Thank you,
Jeannette

if ( issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField_name) = "")

return null

else if ( issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField_name) >= 6)

return "High"

else if ( issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField_name) <= 2)

return "Low"

else

return "Med"

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2014

Hi jnet,

I'm assuming that your source custom field is a Numeric Custom field and that you're using a scripted field.

In this scenario the correct code should be :

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField;

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager;

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();

Issue issue  = issue;

CustomField sourceCF = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Source Field");

Integer sourceValue = issue.getCustomFieldValue(sourceCF);

if(sourceValue!=null){

if(sourceValue&gt;=6)

return "High";

else if (sourceValue&lt;=2)

return "Low";

else

return "Med";

}

return "null";

Please, keep in mind that if the source value is not populated this script will display "null". If you want to not show this field if null please, write return "" instead of return "null' at the last script row.

Moreover, you need to change "Source Field" with the correct name of your custom field.

I hope this helps.

Fabio

Jeannette Lamb March 30, 2014

Thank you, this worked perfectly! I now have a follow up question regarding my numeric custom field. please see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/278603/which-custom-field-type-can-be-used-as-an-input-for-a-numeric-calculation#

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2014

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do but in the other answer, 'return "null"' is almost certainly not what you want. Instead just: return null

Regarding proper syntax for is null - generally you just want to use groovy truth, and not distinguish between nulls and empty strings.

So I would just use:

if (! sourceValue) {

}

Suggest an answer