GreenHopper Field becomes required in Fieldconfigurations after JIRA restart

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2013

Hi,

I'm currently setting up a new project in a JIRA environment where also GreenHopper is in use. I set up four field configurations for four new issue types. Now everytime JIRA gets restartet I see that the GreenHopper customfield Epic Name becomes required in those field configurations.

Since we also use exocet-lite for creating linked issues in postfunctions, this is painful due to the fact that creation of those linked issues now fails due to a non mapped required field (Epic Name).

Has anyone an idea why this field becomes required after JIRA restart and what we can do to stop this.

Thanks, Udo

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2013

That is expected since the field is a Greenhopper managed field. On restart, it is detected that the field has been modified and it gets re-configured.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2013

Thanks Pelle,

that was the part that I didn't understand.

0 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2013
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2013

hmm, you answered my question with my own question?

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2013

I updated the link. copy-pasta fail :)

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2013

Thanks Pelle,

We had initially the problem that Epic Name was required and locked in the field configurations, yes. We unlocked the field as described. The difference is in our case Epic Name was only in context of issue type Epic.

The question is, if we lock Epic Name again (this is what we have not done) will it remain optional in the field configuration after a JIRA restart?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2013

We set the field to optional in field configurations, locked the field again (as described in KB-article), restarted JIRA and the Field is required again. So that wasn't the solution.

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2013

Udo, I must have misunderstood your initial description here. I thought the problem was related to the Epic Name field being required for issue types other than Epic.

It sounds like you are interested in making the Epic Name field as optional. If that is the case, I'm afraid that isn't possible, since it is a Greenhopper managed field. You can read more about that here as well:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/149213/how-do-i-make-the-epic-field-not-required

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2013

Hi Pelle,

We managed to unlock and to set the field optional (as described here). However after every Jira restart the field becomes required again. We also tried to lock the field again after we set it to optional, but same result after restart.

This is what I don't understand.

0 votes
Justin Leader August 10, 2013
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2013

Hi Justin,

we already unlocked the field in order to set it optional. But after JIRA restart it becomes required again (still unlocked).

Did you unlock the field via the normal field configuration or did you go into the backend database like that article recommends?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2013

It was unlooked via SQL as described in the article, since you can not do it in the field configuration.

Interesting. Thanks for the details. I actually had the same problem, but haven't restarted JIRA since it got fixed.

Suggest an answer