Grant access based on user group

Marc Vander Jeught July 17, 2014

Hi

I'm asked to setup a particular security on tickets.

I currently use a security scheme (private) to grant access to issues only to a restricted set of users (assignee, reporter...). So far, fairly easy.

But I'm asked to restrict access to tickets to users belonging to (for example) the same group as the reporter.

As all users have the same role within the project (key users) they all have the same rights but on all tickets for this project. Rights are defined on project level, not on issue.

Is there any way I can achieve this?

Thanks for your help

Marc

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2014

Not without code, and you'll need to define some rules more carefully. "In the same group as other user" is essentially useless. In most Jira installations, that rule works out as "everybody" because the default access model is "everyone who can log in is in jira-users, so everyone IS in the same group as me"

What you need to do to implement this is:

• Add a group-picker custom field
  • Set up a security scheme that uses it (i.e allow access to user if they are in one of the groups in the group picker)
  • Decide on a rule for which groups you actually want to use
  • Implement that rule in a post-function on issue create, so that it populates the group-picker with the relevant groups
Marc Vander Jeught July 17, 2014

Hi Nic

Thanks for your answer.

Does not look that simple... :-(

Suggest an answer