Got a "Summary: You must specify a summary of the issue." error message when creating a new issue

Andres Velasco November 13, 2013

Hi, apparently our Jira version got updated yesterday and today we are receving an error message when creating a new issue

"Summary: You must specify a summary of the issue."

What could we do to fix it?

Thanks,

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
StevenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2013

Hi Andres,

The Summary field is used to put the subject of the issue and it is could not be empty. In addition, it is not possible to remove this field out of the screen. So, just fill in the field to avoid the error. If you could not see this field on the creation screen, then you need to go to Field Configuration to associate it to related screens.

Best Regards,

Steven

SD Admin July 19, 2018

@StevenA, I am currently facing the same problem when trying to create a linked issue from JSD to JS. Even the summary field is visible and editable, I am still getting the same You must specify a summary of the issue. 

Any idea why is this happening? I was able to create link issue using the same method previously but now no more :( Please advise if you come across this as well? Thanks

create linked issue summary-1.png

SD Admin July 20, 2018

Hi,

I have it solved, I realized why. The Jira software Summary has been removed by JS Admin. No wonder not able to create a JS linked issue. Thanks

1 vote
Andres Velasco November 13, 2013

the last JIra update moved some of our configuration and summary field was appearing at the bottom of the screen that make us think this was an issue.

thanks!

0 votes
Pooja Jayaram January 9, 2017

The summary field shows up as a a required field although the screen definition doesn't have the summary field

Jeroen Vermeer October 18, 2018

I got the exact same thing.. Did u find out how to fix the problem? 

0 votes
One Click June 18, 2016

I'm getting this error and there no subject field either above or below - I've adjusted each field to try to get it to go - I can't fill out tickets.

Suggest an answer