Go directly to the JIRA issue screen when clicking the issue link in a board?

Johan November 5, 2015

Hi!

To get to the JIRA issue screen for a full issue view from a board, I need to click the card to get Issue detail View and then click the issue number in the upper part of the Issue detail view. Is it possible to shortcut this in any way, to go directly to the JIRA issue screen from the board?

Since clicking anywhere on the card in the board will open the Issue detail view, wouldn't make sense to go directly to the JIRA issue screen when clicking the actual issue key/link on the card, see picture below? 

image2015-11-5 14:39:10.png

BR

/Johan

9 answers

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2015

It is designed that way. There is an opened "Suggestion" about it and it is still OPEN https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-11160

A workaround is to not to click the issue number. You can either:

• Right Click > Open in a new Tab
  • Hold CTRL + Center Click (Mouse Wheel Button)
Johan November 11, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion! I understand it's designed this way. Even though it is a very small issue I still think it would make sense to give the option to directly open the issue screen.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2015

Agreed. Go and vote for the issue and let the Atlassians know there are more people who wants this feature :)

1 vote
Chris Andrew March 4, 2020

The way Jira forces you to create a new issue is maddening. The sum of this irritant plus others provide a substantive result; hence, I do not recommend Jira to those looking for software to manage their software development. There are other options in the market that have much less friction.

John Duffus February 22, 2021

I agree Chris! Sad when a company, especially from a country I love, Australia, get's very big and profits hugely, then bails because it's easier to focus on the cloud.

It's bummed me out as I have been using Jira software and cloud for 10yrs+ and I was recommending it in a classified lab I work in.

Now, if a small team wants to use the powers of JIRA and search and to normalize content (issue comments, worklog, resolution) and link into SOP-documentation within Confluence (SOP) space/pages, that was design, not only software development), then they have to purchase "Datacenter" version with a minimum user tier of 500.

I recently (2-weeks ago)  contact customer service to obtain a quote for 10-20 for two different programs (20users  x 2) and was told as of early February 2021, Jira Software has been discontinued, it's all Cloud architecture now.

This will for sure affect many closed lab areas, even those for the US National Science and Research Laboratories, including other countries we collaborate with. That is a Shame!

I have been using JIRA/Confluence as a project management tool with a software project look and feel, and I have enjoyed it, other than a few nuances, basic things like this you mentioned and others which Add Up!

Trust me, if I was this innovative and as much as a leader as the founders (Mike and Scott), Net Worth (16B) from CT and NSW, I would not forget about the user community and those users in closed networks. Plus I would keep my fitness/health going too!

Cheers and never give-up!

jd

0 votes
mmg-vshih April 8, 2021

I wrote a user-script to open an issue in a new tab with alt-click, for Jira next-gen - https://openuserjs.org/scripts/vshih/Jira_next-gen_-_Alt%2Bclick_to_open_issues_in_new_tab

0 votes
Gabriel do Nascimento Rocha January 29, 2019

I would like to have this feature as well

0 votes
James Gould November 19, 2018

Over 3 years old, close to 300 votes and thousands of views: No response.

It should be a fairly arbitrary change, also wanting this.

0 votes
Antoine Rosset June 5, 2018

Me too

0 votes
Mikkel Bisgaard April 30, 2018

I've also received this question from one of my colleagues. 

It would be a nice feature... 

Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Alejandro Leyva March 30, 2018

Me too

0 votes
Jim January 16, 2017

Yes, I would like to see this functionality also.

Suggest an answer