Global reporting for federated instances

Thomas Hardin November 11, 2019

Good morning all,

I am researching ways to report on 2 federated instances that are configured identically. Both use Portfolio for Jira to maintain a hierarchy, along with some other add-ons for data alignment. The big need here is that there does not seem to be a way to utilize the same type of linking, given that we are restricted to remote issue links and can't use the Parent-Child relationships, which come with P4J. 

So, one of the needs I have is that I want to be able to connect Parent issues on one side with child issues on the other. Additionally, I want to be able to display these relationships with a central reporting tool that can show these like P4J does, a nice road map of sorts where the structure is top down. And finally, I want to be able to slice and ice the data in a number of different ways, which unfortunately P4J will not support.

My initial thoughts are to use Tabeau or Smartsheet to connect to both instances, but I would like to overcome the linking restrictions if at all possible (I'd like to have a single option for connecting internal and external issues the same way). If I cannot, then I need to figure out how best to report and display the relationship using both link options.

If anyone out there has done this or has any ideas, I'm all ears.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2019

Hi @Thomas Hardin 

Have you looked into Backbone Sync? Here's what I'm thinking:

This should allow you to have a board that mirrors itself in both instances, and anything you do to a synced issue in one instance will automagically be done to the issue in the other. 

Let me know what you think. and if you try it let me know if it works!

-Scott

Scrum of Scrums with Backbone.JPG

Suggest an answer