Global Users: Why do I have to setup a new user in Bitbucket, why do I have to login twice

Patrick Thielen September 11, 2013

Atlassian forced OnDemand users to migrate their source from FishEye to Bitbucket. So far so good.

The problem is that for every JIRA user I have to create a Bitbucket user (with its own account). Even worse, frequently the username cannot be the same since BB user names must be unique across all the world (because you don't have a company/team instance like in Jira, even if you setup a team).

This is very confusing for the users who suddenly need new credentials, not even their JIRA username is recognised, and when they login in BB they land in their own account, not it the company's team.

Also there are JIRA users who don't use the VCS but need to access a file in the repo. Before I could simply paste a link to the file in the issue, now this doesn't work any more unless I setup a BB account for them and explain them how to use it (a big overhead because the BB look & feel is quite different from JIRA).

Finally my questions:

• Is there a mean to unify the credentials (global users like in Confluence) ?
    I would like not to have to login a second time when I'm already logged in JIRA
  • Does Atlassian have plans to integrate Bitbucket more tightly in JIRA (like Fisheye was before) ?The DVCS connector allows linking commits to issues but to browse code you need login in BB and learn a whole new environment.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2013

We're aware that the login experience between the apps is an issue and are working to improve it. Once we do, you'll have the same login across all of Atlassian's products, including OnDemand, Support and Bitbucket.

As for the product experience, Bitbucket is contantly evolving and improving. DVCS is a much different sort of system than Subversion and Bitbucket reflects this different workflow. We're currently concentrating our efforts on improving the integration between the two in a variety of ways. Some of them can be seen today in JIRA, like the create branch option on any JIRA issue.

Patrick Thielen September 13, 2013

Good to know you are working on the login issue.

Hope also there will be a way to easily browse a file in the repo with a link in an issue, without having to know much about BB (I do since I am a Hg user but customers often don't). Click the link and just see the file content, that would be great integration.

Suggest an answer