Global Permissions :: JIRA Users Permissions

Jamil Ahmed August 21, 2012

We are using Active Directory authentication for JIRA. There are several groups (Engineering, QA etc), but we are using "Operations" group for JIRA administration.

Currently "Operations" group has all permissions under "Administration > Global Permissions > JIRA Permissions > Permissions", except "JIRA Users".

JIRA System Administrators
JIRA Administrators
Browse Users
Create Shared Objects
Manage Group Filter Subscriptions
Bulk Change

We tried to add "JIRA Users" permissions to the Operations group from the bottom section, Add Permission. But it says:

The group 'Operations' is not allowed to be added to the permission 'JIRA Users'

Problem is, the users under Operations group can not create JIRA search filters. It says, Permission Denied. But other group users can create those. After creating another Active Directory group, jira-users (which contains all our JIRA users including Operations group members), adding it to the "JIRA Users" permission solved the problem.

Is there any way to add the Operations group to "JIRA Users" permission?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2012

I might be wrong since I do not use active directory, but since the groups are controlled from the active directory side, any changes to groups should be done through active directory. I do not believe Jira supports a 2-way sync, so Jira uses the groups from active directory side.

So what you did of adding Operations to your active directory jira-users group and adding that group to JIRA-users should be the correct solution.

Jamil Ahmed August 21, 2012

Currently in Active Directory, "Operations" group has user1, user2, user3.

And in "jira-users" group has user1, user2, user3, user4, user5, user6, user7, user8, user9, user10.

We don't want to use "jira-users" group. As we can't add "Operations" group to the JIRA Users permission, user1, user2 and user3 are not able to do certain functions (ie. create search filters).

Suggest an answer