Giving full jira adminstrator permission to project's users

Elad Zamir May 10, 2015

Hi,

I am working on JIRA for some time but very limited at some areas and I want to get FULL adminstrator permissions (TOTAL) when login to my account.

How do I do that?

I am already listed as an admin but like I said there are options I don't see and sometimes I even get a "you don't have permission" message when I tries to log in to more advance admin configurations.

It's very very important for my project.

My admin knows about this but is also pretty lost on how and where to do it.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2015

There are two levels of "Admin" access on JIRA - JIRA admin and System admin.  

It sounds like you are a JIRA Admin (System admins have all admin abilities, JIRA admins less)

To become a full system admin, you need to get another system admin to add you to the group(s) named in the "global permissions" section of the administrative functions.  Ask your other admin to look in there.

Note that you will not get system admin rights on a Cloud installation of JIRA

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2015

For 1 and 2, you've got a broken system.  Someone has added a resolution called "unresolved" into the list of resolutions and that has broken it. To fix this:

1. Log in as an admin
  2. Got to Admin -> Issues -> Resolutions
  3. Rename "unresolved" to "DO NOT USE ME" and change the default
  4. Now, go through ALL your screens, and remove "resolution" from all screens that are used for "Create", "Edit" or any transition that does not go into a closed/resolved type status.
  5. You'll now need to analyse how many issues have this broken resolution to decide if you can live with the broken issues, or if you need to fix them (search for all "do not use me" and check their status)

For the rest

3. Yes, check the workflow allows it and add the transitions you need to enable it

4. Again, workflows, add "conditions" to the transitions to stop users using the transtions for close and reject

5. Look at the "screen schemes" - they contain the lists of screens that are used when you create, edit and view an issue, and you'll want to modify the issue view screens

6. Look at the permissions.  If a user has "browse" in a project, they can see it.  If you remove their browse permission, it vanishes in all ways.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow and https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Elad Zamir May 12, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. I have only 4 resolutions - none of them is "unresolved". When I open an issue I automatically set it as "Open" but after I create it I see "unresolved" under the resolution tab. As a matter of fact I don't have a "unresolved" selection option when I create a new issue. Very weird.

5. screen schemes doesn't allow me to choose which specific details will be displayed when I review an issue. Do I need to create a new scheme for this? I tried to edit one of the existing schemes but I didn't see where I can change it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2015

Ah, ok, I've jumped to the wrong conclusion. Unresolved will always be displayed when the resolution is empty, there's nothing wrong there. The problem is the "resolved date" will only be set when the resolution changes from <empty> to <something>. So it sounds like you have set the resolution to something when creating the issue. There's no other way to set that date without scripting or addons breaking it, so I'm a bit stuck on where that is coming from. On 5 - yes they do, they give you the list of fields that will be displayed on issue view. You need to work out which scheme is in place for the project / issue type and descend into it to find the list of fields it is presenting on the issue "view". Bear in mind that is just the Jira issue view, there are other ways to see issues, in the navigator, as agile cards, etc, and that the Jira issue view will always display the valid system fields (issue type, key, summary etc)

0 votes
Elad Zamir May 11, 2015

Thanks. That solve the problem.

I have a few more issues I need help with:

1. When I create an issue I have the date I open the issue, last update and resolve date. For some reason JIRA set the "resolve date" the same as the "open date". how do I change that and do a follow-up?
  2. When I open an Issue it's resolution is automatically set to "unresolved" how can I change it to "open"?
  3. "Closed" issues can be "Reopened?
  4. There are certain issues statues that I want specific people can "close" or "reject". How can I set permissions for specific people? I tried and it didn't work so well.
  5. How can I define which information will be display when I open the issue's details? I have some information which is blank because I don't find it necessary to insert it when creating an issue. How can I choose and configure which categories will be display and which won't?
  6. I have a few projects which my department doesn't use (but is used by another department), can I hide them that I won't see it or have access to it when I login to my JIRA account?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer