Giving a number to the comment on an issue

DeepakBhatia September 9, 2012

Hi,

When we comment the issue in JIRA, we want to give a number to the comment.

How is it possible to give the number to the comment in JIRA ?

Regards

Deepak Bhatia

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DeepakBhatia September 9, 2012

I mean before each comment, its number on that issue should come ?

For example

1 Comment

2 Comment

Thanks

Deepak

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2012

Ah, I think I understand. Instead of <Author><date/time><comment>, you want <Author><date/time><sequence><comment>

No, it doesn't do that. You'll need to do a bit of coding to implement that. Bearing in mind there's nowhere to store it in the database, I'd be tempted to have a go at the comment display code and see if I could derive the number from the date/time stamps.

1 vote
Bryan Ischo June 8, 2020

I 100% agree with the original poster and with Yamile Martinez.  It is a serious flaw in Jira that it does not display any easily usable identifier of a comment that can be referred to later.

However it's very disheartening that this obvious and serious problem has not been addressed in 8 years, from which I have to conclude that it will never be addressed.

0 votes
Yamile Martinez July 2, 2019

Hi Nic,

Jira does not have this feature because it probably did not think on how long conversations are with developers, BA's, Managers and Clients.   If you have a comment number you can easily refer to it by saying, if you look at comment-25, the developer states ....bla, bla bla

So JIRA might not understand this concept but it is imperative to have this feature.  please consider some type of reference for comments since it is very much needed.

Thanks,

Yami

0 votes
Mark Culley January 23, 2014

Nic, how about the index# of the comment? This should be easily configurable. DeepakBhatia is probably a former Bugzilla! user like I am. In Bugzilla!, each comment is numbered:

Comment#1
"blah blah blah"

Comment#2
"blah Blah Blah2"

The point is that it is really handy, when responding to comments, to refer to which comment you are commenting on. Futher, Bugzilla! goes so far as to as to autoembed a link to the comment in the new comment. So if I were to type: "Joe, in Comment#3 you said the system state was default. That is not correct, the state is active", the text "Comment#3" is a link.

If JIRA has a different concept that is synonomous, let's hear it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2014

There is no index number on the comment, there's nothing to "easily configure".

That's the point I'm making when I say "you'll need a bit of code to do it" - if you want to do this, you need to write some code to work out and expose that index.

Although you do have the unique id of each comment available and instead of doing date/time, you could simply count through those on an issue (If you see id's 10010, 10300, 23456, then you'd number them 1, 2, 3 - higher numbers in the id mean they were added later)

My guess is Jira doesn't have this because it's not as useful as it might look, unless you've got multithreaded conversations going on, in which case, your issue is probably too complex!

Bryan Ischo June 8, 2020

Nic_Brough_Adaptavist wrote:

"My guess is Jira doesn't have this because it's not as useful as it might look, unless you've got multithreaded conversations going on, in which case, your issue is probably too complex! "

I would like to point out that this is completely wrong and for proof you have to look no further than Nic_Brough__Adaptavist_'s own comment.

Notice Nic that you *replied* to Mark Culley's original comment, and it's very clear to what you were replying because the presentation here puts your response directly beneath his comment.

Now imagine instead that you could only append comments to the end of this thread, not intersperse them as replies to other comments.

Now imagine further that you could not identify Nick's comment by date because the original date of the comment was not shown to you.

How would you have referred to his comment so that we would all know to what comment you were responding?

You wouldn't have been able to.  That is the whole point of this very valid feature request.  To be able to actually refer to prior comments in a meaningful way.

If you don't understand why that's so important, presumably it's because you've never had to actually suffer through it, instead being able to use more featureful comments systems like this one.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2020

I don't think you've understood how useful this might be.  There is a request for it, closed through sheer lack of interest.

Threaded comments are far more popular, but the fact that in 15 years only 3 people voted for numbering strongly suggests it's pretty much useless.

Note that the conversations here are threaded, but not numbered.  No-one needs numbers here.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2012

What do you mean by "give a number"?

Do you mean you want it in-line (use wiki-markup, and prefix each line with a #) or you want to refer to the comment by it's unique ID? Or something else?

Suggest an answer