Give visibility on Jira issues to organization

Camille Mateos February 14, 2019

Hi everyone,

We are an Animation studios with a different teams using different software. Our development team, who I am part of, is using Jira & Bitbucket and production teams are on Shotgun software that better fits their need. While our dev team has access to Shotgun the other teams do not have access to Jira because it would be too costly for us.

The challenge with this setting is that when the productions teams send us request that get recorded on Jira they do not have any visibility on it. I've played with permissions and visibility settings and I have not found a solution for that. It seems to be either I give access to anonymous users who could also be coming from outside the company (that's a no no) or no access at all.

What options would you recommend that would not involve me exporting every week the entire backlog to share it on a spreadsheet?

Thanks a bunch for tips,

Camille

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2019

Dear @Camille Mateos,

as you like to save costs and you have developers on-board, I recommend to pull the backlog via a REST API search request and display the JSON response on a static web page. This can be triggered by CRON every hour so once implemented you never need to touch again.

I had a similar case vice versa working in a operations team with Kanban board. There were many "Stakeholder" who wanted their "hot stuff" being done always first. We created a static overview page where they could see on what we were working on. The phone stopped ringing immediately ;)

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2019

Annotation: will also work for Jira Cloud. Just the target web page needs to be under control by your company.

This sounds like the best long term solution for us and will help me keep my sanity. Thank you Thomas!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2019

Is the production team on your same network? If so I would talk to your network folks to block public traffic to your JIRA server. JIRA permission setting require users have a JIRA id. Anonymous is for use when you really want the world to see the issues. 

Thank you Joseph! Yes they all are on the same network. I forgot to mention we are using Jira Cloud, would this solution still work because it sounds like a great one?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2019

Talk to your provider. all my experience is with server so we have complete network control. If your site can provide them with an originating IP address(s) the provider may be able to restrict traffic to just those

That's perfect thank you for you help and the fast answer!

Suggest an answer