Git and Svn side by side temporarely

Christiaan van Bergen August 14, 2013

Hi,

We just moved our code from Svn to Git. Now I would like to configure the rest of our Atlassian products to use Git. I know where to do just that, but I am wondering...will my Jira messages automatically link to both the Svn repositories and the Git repositories? Or will enabling Git mean that Svn will not be accessible anymore?

Another question would be: if my code-movement failed. Can I start over and continue to work with Svn (untill the end-of-service) ? In other words, can I switch back to Svn?

Thx.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2013

will my Jira messages automatically link to both the Svn repositories and the Git repositories?

If the Git commit has the issue keys, then there should be no problem.

Or will enabling Git mean that Svn will not be accessible anymore?

Of course not. They are separate things.

if my code-movement failed. Can I start over and continue to work with Svn (untill the end-of-service) ? In other words, can I switch back to Svn?

Depending on how you move your code. Personally, git-svn has never been an issue for me. You should schedule a downtime and a cut off period on your SVN for the migration so that you know that it works and that no more commits will be made to the SVN after the migration.

Suggest an answer