Git Flow JIRA Branch

James Barwick February 19, 2014

I was just about to create my first feature branch with Git Flow. I want to attach the feature branch with a user story (although a story can have more than one feature).

So, this is a bit about how it can be confusing.

First there is a create branch in jira (on an issue, under the Development section, there is 'create branch') doing so gives a branch name "JIRA-12 User Feature"

Then, there is Gitflow. In SourceTree I say: GitFlow -> Create Feature Branch and it asks me for a branch name with the 'feature' prefix. So, it I will type it in: "feature/JIRA-12 User Feature"

But, you can't create a feature as a subtask of the User story. So, it's only tied to the Epic.

The only thing I can do is create a link.

This really isn't the question. Here's the question:

Should I use JIRA to do 'create branch' or should I use SourceTree to 'create feature branch'?

And, if I use SourceTree, how do I make sure that the 'link' is established (as it implies in the documentation)? Again, the documentation say "it can be done", but stops at the point of telling you how to do it.

Why is Atlassian so afraid to say: "Do it this way?". If someone disagrees, then they don't have to do it that way.

1 answer

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

I don't know much about linking with Jira, but git flow is an optional git workflow. If it doesn't work with your personal/corporate workflow, don't use it. Creating a branch in SourceTree with the Branch button is only slightly more work.

Suggest an answer