Getting "your data contains JIRA Agile data from a previous version that is not compatible for import" error

Paul Esteban September 7, 2016

We have a JIra 5.1 instance that is in production.  Instead of upgrading this, we installed a JIRA 7.1.9 instance then imported the 5.1 data into it.  The first time worked with no issues.  However, after a week, I wanted to update the JIRA 7 instance with the latest but I get this error. Why do I get this error the second time around?  How do I work around this?  Thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2016

Did you update JIRA Agile to 6.7 before upgrading JIRA? That's part of the upgrade procedure from JIRA 6.X and earlier to JIRA 7.X. 

Have you already started using the upgraded data yet, or is this still in Dev? If you haven't upgraded Prod yet, try the JIRA Agile upgrade to 6.7, which may require an interim JIRA upgrade to 6.4.

Paul Esteban September 7, 2016

The plan was not to touch JIRA 5.1 which is prod so there is no service interruption.  JIRA is used a lot in our company.  Then when we are happy with JIRA 7 and have updated it with the latest data, we will put 5.1 instance offline and give everyone the jira7 instance url.  It'll be seamless transition, in theory. 

To answer your questions: No, I have not using JIRA 7 instance yet, it is still dev.  I was hoping not to have to do any upgrade on prod (5.1 instance) but looks like I have to upgrade JIRA Agile plugin at least.   Agile plugin is not used here at all so I wonder if we can just uninstall it from 5.1 instance then do the export then import to JIRA 7 again?

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2016

Got it.  Probably the easiest way to do this will be to set up JIRA 6.4 and empty database on your destination server, sync over the JIRA home directory, then import the XML dump into it. Upgrade all the add-ons to the latest versions, which will upgrade JIRA Agile to 6.7. Then shut down JIRA 6.4, point JIRA 7.2 to the 6.4 database and home directory then fire up 7.2.  All the upgrade magic should happen correctly this way and it still leave you with a solid backout plan with your untouched 5.1 instance.

Suggest an answer