Getting "field is required" error even though custom field is not included for the project.

Jon Kern December 8, 2014

Yes, this is similar to "Getting Field is Required Error Message when Field is not included on screen", except my issue involves different projects, not different screens.

I have a few projects:

• Dev Staging
  • Intelliquip
  • Infrastructure
  • Services

I have a custom field "Release Notes" that is mandatory – but only for the development issues in the "Dev Staging" and the "Intelliquip" project. The other projects do not need this behavior.

JIRA_Release_Notes_Custom_Field.png

So, if I create an issue in Dev Staging or Intelliquip, I must fill in the field. Perfect!

If I create an issue in Services, I do not have to worry about this field. Perfect!

If I create an issue in Infrastructure, I must fill in this field. WHOA! ERROR! Not Perfect!

I have checked everything I can think of to see why this one project behaves differently, but cannot figure out why JIRA is behaving this way. Infrastructure and Services have different screen schemes. I have tried to create a separate Issue Type Screen only for the Infrastructure project. All to no avail.

Any tips?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2014

This has nothing to do with screen schemes or screens. It is in the field configuration used for the issue type/project combination.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2014

Yup, it's the same answer. Forget screens. Look at the field configurations.

1 vote

It is As Joe and Nic mentioned... Despite being able to indicate fields only apply to given project(s):

JIRA_Release_Notes_Custom_Field.png

Apparently, this is a fruitless exercise, and merely a distraction or a placeboo activity?

Instead, you have to create a Field Configuration Scheme, modify (override) the field required/optional, and associate it to the project. Clear as mud!

JIRA Field Configuration Schemes.png

I'll accept Joe's/Nic's answer, but left this here for greater clarity (I hope).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2014

Well, to be fair, there's nowhere else to set "field is mandatory", it's all done in the filed configuration stuff, so I'm not sure I'd call it fruitless, distracting or a placebo. But I would go with "as confusing as a talking aspidistra turning into a teapot. Gronda Gronda Rangdo"

Jon Kern December 9, 2014

I meant the part about associating a custom field with a project. What good is doing that, if I then have to create a field configuration scheme? Stated another way, what does associating a custom field to a project do for you?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2014

The context for a field (associating with a project, or even issue type) is about whether the field is used by that project and issue type. Field configuration has flags for the renderers, mandatory/optional and the ability to hide fields. I'd say all of that can be better done in other places.

0 votes

So riddle me this, Batman...

Why does it work properly in one project (where the custom field is NOT included) yet fail for another project where the custom field also does not apply?

Specifically which thing/setting should I be looking for? The "Field Configurations?"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2014

The field configuration for the two projects is different. One says the field is mandatory, the other says it's not.

I'll check those next... Thanks. Not that I have a better solution... But the "domain model" surrounding the whole JIRA screen, various schemes, and other configurations are overly complicated. Or at least it is hard for me to come up with a rock solid, simple mental model. I've tried drawing it up in the past, and never quite got a good handle on what affects what, etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2014

I've always felt that the field configurations should be binned and merged in with the other two things you have to deal with.

Suggest an answer