Getting "field is required" error even though custom field is not included for the project.

Yes, this is similar to "Getting Field is Required Error Message when Field is not included on screen", except my issue involves different projects, not different screens.

I have a few projects:

• Dev Staging
  • Intelliquip
  • Infrastructure
  • Services

I have a custom field "Release Notes" that is mandatory – but only for the development issues in the "Dev Staging" and the "Intelliquip" project. The other projects do not need this behavior.

JIRA_Release_Notes_Custom_Field.png

So, if I create an issue in Dev Staging or Intelliquip, I must fill in the field. Perfect!

If I create an issue in Services, I do not have to worry about this field. Perfect!

If I create an issue in Infrastructure, I must fill in this field. WHOA! ERROR! Not Perfect!

I have checked everything I can think of to see why this one project behaves differently, but cannot figure out why JIRA is behaving this way. Infrastructure and Services have different screen schemes. I have tried to create a separate Issue Type Screen only for the Infrastructure project. All to no avail.

Any tips?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Dec 08, 2014

This has nothing to do with screen schemes or screens. It is in the field configuration used for the issue type/project combination.

Yup, it's the same answer. Forget screens. Look at the field configurations.

So riddle me this, Batman...

Why does it work properly in one project (where the custom field is NOT included) yet fail for another project where the custom field also does not apply?

Specifically which thing/setting should I be looking for? The "Field Configurations?"

The field configuration for the two projects is different. One says the field is mandatory, the other says it's not.

I'll check those next... Thanks. Not that I have a better solution... But the "domain model" surrounding the whole JIRA screen, various schemes, and other configurations are overly complicated. Or at least it is hard for me to come up with a rock solid, simple mental model. I've tried drawing it up in the past, and never quite got a good handle on what affects what, etc.

I've always felt that the field configurations should be binned and merged in with the other two things you have to deal with.

It is As Joe and Nic mentioned... Despite being able to indicate fields only apply to given project(s):

JIRA_Release_Notes_Custom_Field.png

Apparently, this is a fruitless exercise, and merely a distraction or a placeboo activity?

Instead, you have to create a Field Configuration Scheme, modify (override) the field required/optional, and associate it to the project. Clear as mud!

JIRA Field Configuration Schemes.png

I'll accept Joe's/Nic's answer, but left this here for greater clarity (I hope).

Well, to be fair, there's nowhere else to set "field is mandatory", it's all done in the filed configuration stuff, so I'm not sure I'd call it fruitless, distracting or a placebo. But I would go with "as confusing as a talking aspidistra turning into a teapot. Gronda Gronda Rangdo"

I meant the part about associating a custom field with a project. What good is doing that, if I then have to create a field configuration scheme? Stated another way, what does associating a custom field to a project do for you?

The context for a field (associating with a project, or even issue type) is about whether the field is used by that project and issue type. Field configuration has flags for the renderers, mandatory/optional and the ability to hide fields. I'd say all of that can be better done in other places.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,856 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot