Getting hours worked against issues added to sprint after start time

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2013

My teams take on a lot of production support during a sprint. While trying to limit the amount of incidents allowed to come into a sprint to disrupt the team, it does and will continue to happen.

Does Atlassian plan to expand its list of JQL fields to expose some support for us in answering the age old question..."How much effort (hours) has been put into this sprint working on issues that were brought into the sprint after the sprint started?" The next logical question is..."Over the past (let's say) 6 sprints, what is my average production support debt incurred each sprint, so I can deduct an average from my next sprint's capacity?"

The Sprint Report provides a great foundation for this (an asterisk next to those parent issues added to the sprint after it started), but I haven't found a way through JQL to get at the data. Preferably, if I can just get a list of those issues added to Sprint x, I can sum the Time Spent column together in Excel, and glean some information. Right now, I build a manual query based on those issues added to the sprint using the Sprint Report.

7 answers

0 votes
Amanda D Sa May 30, 2016

Would love to know if there is a solution to this. I have been basically using JQL and searching for JIRAs whose created date is after the sprint start date. This basically gives me a list of Production Issues that creep up during the sprint.

0 votes
David October 15, 2015

I have the same issue. Would love to find a solution for this.

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2015

It is surprising more of us aren't battling with this need...

0 votes
Jessica Chappell September 16, 2015

I can't figure this out here. +1 for a solution. A gadget, some JQL, anything.

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2014

I'm still stuck on this problem...is it just me? What are other folks doing out there? Thx in advance. To recap, I am unable to get quick insight into how many issues were added into a sprint (and how much time was spent on those issues).

0 votes
William Flow July 11, 2014

I'm interested in this information for similar reasons -- our teams keep getting their scope added to after the fact (not for support purposes, though, but rather because of other pressures). Being able to easily query against issues that were added into a sprint after the fact would highlight how many extra points are being accrued and thus killing the velocity. Granted, the stars are nifty, but isolating and highlighting the total time spent would be more useful.

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2014

Atlassian - is there future hope to have the field exposed to be able to aggregate how much time was spent on issues added to the sprint after the sprint started? I'm surprised no one in the community has any comments on this:).

Suggest an answer