Getting errors when importing XML backup

Alex Tabrizi June 9, 2015

When importing an XML backup into a new JIRA instance, I get the errors below. How can bypass this error?

"ErrorJira-error.jpg

FYI: The source JIRA version is (v6.4.4) and the target JIRA version is (v6.4.5)

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2015

Try installing the Kepler custom fields addon in the target JIRA and retrying the import.

I've run into this error a number of times, and it's not just the Kepler ones that do it - it's often worth making sure you have the same addons installed in the target (compatible versions of course) as you do in the source JIRA when you are upgrading.  Just the presence of the addon - so far, I've not seen one that needs configuration or other work, it's enough to make sure it is there.

Note that this is a bit of a long-shot.  It's worth a try, but if it doesn't help, then don't waste any time trying to debug it further - follow Brian's advice as soon as it fails.

0 votes
CruzinUSA
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2015

Hi Alex,

There are some plugins that have been known to cause issues. Stripping out the information from these plugins should allow the XML to import correctly. Take a look at our documentation for an easy way to strip out the problematic information. After removing the information you can then add the plugins back in later.

Suggest an answer