Getting error when I refresh on dashboard that I have access to

Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2017

I have admin priviledges and can access every dashboard in my Jira project. All of a sudden today, I am getting logged out whenever I refresh the page on a dashboard or click on another dashboard. And I get this error. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks.

Capture.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2017

I have finally discovered the problem. I narrowed it down to one specific dashboard causing the problem, and then narrowed it down to one specific gadget on that dashboard causing the problem - the Activity Stream. One of my co-workers is included on that activity stream and he recently used the User Profiles for Jira add-on to upload profile photos for all of our agents and customers. The activity stream was showing these uploads in the feed as broken images. As soon as these activities were pushed down off the feed, the problem went away. I guess there is something with that add-on that didn't work right with the activity stream gadget.

This is what it looked like:

Capture3.PNG

These activity logs were causing the dashboard system errors when refreshing and/or changing to a new page. This may be either a bug with the Activity Stream gadget or the User Profiles for Jira add-on.

Thank you for the assistance.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2017

Great. Glad you found the solution and thanks for posting details here/

If you are feeling community minded, you could contact the vendor of the add-on to report the possible bug.

See the contact details on the right of this page: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/de.communardo.jira.plugins.userprofile/server/support - it gives link to their support site.

0 votes
Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

Hi Tiffany,

Do you have permissions on that dashboard to view?

Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

Yes, I have always had permission to view all dashboards and up until today, I have had no problems. When I log in, it takes me to my default dashboard no problem, but then I refresh the page and boom - it logs me out and gives me the error.

Yesterday, I edited one of the bundled plugin pages on the file server of my Jira instance, but only carefully changed the one line and then saved it (I was trying to do this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/modifying-gadgets-refresh-interval-308609553.html) . So I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. Was there something I was supposed to do other than just save the file and then restart the service?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

I think the error is just the standard error that is shown if you try to access a dashboard when you are not logged in.

So the question here is really: why are you getting logged out when viewing the dashboard?

(It might be worth editing the title of the question to be clearer on that).

If you log in, do you get taken to the dashboard you expect to see OK?

How long do you stay logged in for after that? If you just stay on the board, do you get logged out after a while? Or is it only when you switch between dashboards?

That modification you linked does say it might have unknown side effects.It only mentions version 5.0.4, so that KB article is probably pretty old. I guess the only way to know is to undo the changes and see if it fixes your problem.

Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

Yes, when I login, I am taken to my main dashboard just fine. (The one I have favorited.) If I wait a few seconds, and refresh my browser, I get logged out. It's the weirdest thing. I also might add that I can no longer see the dropdown menu options at the top of my header bar. (The one that has Dashboards, Projects, and Issues menus). Nothing appears when clicked on these menus. I undid the changes I made from that KB article and still experiencing the issue. Thank you for the help.

Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

Also, it allows me to switch between dashboards just fine. It is literally only when I click the refresh button or hit F5 that this occurs. 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

What if you refresh on a non-dashboard page? Still get logged out?

Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

Nope. That makes me think something is wrong with that page I edited. All I did was add in a new refresh internal value and then I ended up going back and taking it out and re-copying the page it to the server. I noticed at the bottom of the KB article, it states: "To make sure that you will get fresh bundled plugins, remove all contents of $JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins." Do you know where I go to do this? Not sure where to find $JIRA_HOME or what it is referring to there.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

So just to summarise the problem here in case it helps someone answer:

• If you are veiwing (any?) dashboard and you refresh the page, you get logged out.
  • You can log in again to view the dashboard you want to see.
  • When logged in you can navigate to any dashboard and view it.
  • The top menu bar doesn't work. Is this only when you are logged out? Or all the time?

Is that right?

Other things that might be worth trying to diagnose the problem:

• Try a different browser to see if the same issue occurs.
Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2017

Correct. I have tried on all browsers - same problem. It only happens while on the dashboard. I can access my menu items from project and issue view, etc. It only happens when I am currently looking at a dashboard and then try to access the menus up top or refresh the page. 

In this screenshot, you can see that I am looking at my dashboard. However, I clicked on the menu items up top and no dropdown selections appear. Also, if I refresh the page, I instantly get logged out and get the error message shown above in the original question.

Untitled.png

Suggest an answer