Getting error 32 during ldap authcication.

Anku Sharma April 7, 2015

Test Remote Directory Connection

Use this form to test the connection to Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only) directory 'Active Directory server'.

For extended testing enter the credentials of a user in the remote directory.

Test basic connection : Succeeded
  Test retrieve user : Failed
org.springframework.ldap.NameNotFoundException: [LDAP: error code 32 - 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-031001A8, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of: '' ]; nested exception is javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: [LDAP: error code 32 - 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-031001A8, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of: '' ]; remaining name '/'
For more information regarding LDAP error codes see Troubleshooting LDAP Error Codes.

6 answers

0 votes
Richard November 25, 2019

We had the same issue. After investigation, JIRA uses an Active Directory (AD) user to login to the LDAP directory.

We were using this AD user for other purposes than connecting to JIRA and for some reason, this account was locked by the network security rules.

Unlocking the AD account resolved the issue.

Hope this help.

0 votes
Anku Sharma April 10, 2015

Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your support. I am successfully able to authenticate with AD now.

Regards,

Anku Sharma

Anubha Bhardwaj May 24, 2017

Hi Anku,

We are facing the very same error message on testing retrieve user . Can you share how you resolved that issue?

Thanks,

Anubha

0 votes
Anku Sharma April 9, 2015

Hi Paulo,

Now I am getting below error message. Can you please help me out?

Test Remote Directory Connection 

Use this form to test the connection to Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only) directory 'Active Directory server'.

For extended testing enter the credentials of a user in the remote directory.

Test basic connection : Succeeded
 Test retrieve user : Failed
org.springframework.ldap.PartialResultException: nested exception is javax.naming.PartialResultException [Root exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: imfcorp.com:389 [Root exception is java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]]
Thanks & Regards,
Anku Sharma 

0 votes
Anku Sharma April 9, 2015

No, Still getting the same error message.

0 votes
Matthias Schouten April 9, 2015

Interesting. I got the exact same issue today while trying to add LDAP to JIRA / Confluence. Funny enough all the users are synchronized with groups and stuff. But the cannot login. Any updates from your side?

Noni Khutane June 24, 2019

Hi Matthias any luck on your issues? 

Experiencing the same issue 

0 votes
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2015

Hey Anku,

According with that error (code 32), the specified entry does not exist in the directory (DIT). 

Basically error 32 says you're trying to log in with an inexistent user, or with a user which is on some part of your LDAP tree which isn't covered by your Base DN.

Suggest an answer