Getting Field Required even though field is not part of screen

Jon Starbird
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

I have a Custom Field that was part of the main default screen and I have since removed it however when we create an issue it is still saying the field is required.

I've gone through all the places I could think of to find where it might be but it is not listed for this screen anywhere.

Where in the database could I look and possiblly update it to properly remove the field?

Thanks,

J

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

You need to check the field configuration you are using with your field configuration scheme:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour

Although the screen dictates whether or not the field is there, the field configuration can dictate whether or not it is hidden, required, ect. :)

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2013

Whatever issue types you have associated with that field configuration will require that field if you have set it to be required - regardless of whether or not you actually have it on the screen.

Jon Starbird
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2013

It is required there as I have it on another Screen which it does show that screen and only that screen listed for it.

Jon Starbird
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Ok. Doesn't make sense but I can work around that. Would seem it would only be required on the Screen that it is part of.

Thanks,

J

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

There are a lot of things you have to keep in mind with field settings - it can certainly get confusing. Glad I was able to help, and thanks for accepting my answer! :)

BTW - there is a feature request to make fields only required for certain parts of a workflow - you can view it and comment/vote for it here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5783

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013
Jonathan Harber February 5, 2020

All, I have the same problem.  The field is not showing required, but when the approver approves it, we get the error "Field is required but not showing on the screen."

Jonathan Harber February 5, 2020

It does not show required in the Field Configuration Screen

Suggest an answer