Getting 500 when clicking configure on of the project's board?

Christian September 24, 2017

Installed JIRA 7.4.2 on a vm with a separate MySQL vm; both on google cloud platform. When clicking on a demo or created project, receive the error 500 screen. After researching, found this link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unable-to-browse-any-projects-due-to-500-page-error-608961369.html

Although only difference is that it's a fresh Jira install on Centos7 with no application links yet.

I'm not sure where to look for errors in logs but found the log analyzer with this read out:

ERROR com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: REFERENCES command denied to user 

ERROR JIRA throws "Hmm... we couldn't create your project due to an unknown error. Try refreshing the page to start again" when creating a new project

ERROR JIRA Software can become unresponsive on upgrade or install when there are many custom fields due to restoring and locking all fields

Fixed in 7.2.8 Server 32 minutes ago 2 matches, last match on line 98356

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Which directory would have the best logs to review?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2017

Hi Christian,

What version of MySQL are you using?  We have a knowledge base article titled com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: REFERENCES command denied to user that states the following:

This error is commonly seen on JIRA Server environments that have been setup to use a MySQL 5.7.6 database version or higher. 

The most common times when you might see this kind of error would be:

• During an initial setup of JIRA
  • During a migration from Cloud to Server
  • If you have recently upgraded your database server or migrated your JIRA database to a different database server.
  • During a project import
  • During a plugin installation/update

The documentation on Connecting JIRA 7.3 applications to MySQL now has the correct SQL commands need to configure the user permissions correctly.   The new command is:

SQL commands
GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,REFERENCES,ALTER,INDEX on <JIRADB>.* TO '<USERNAME>'@'<JIRA_SERVER_HOSTNAME>' IDENTIFIED BY '<PASSWORD>';
flush privileges; 

Run the SQL commands to configure the permissions and see if that resolves this for you.

Cheers,

Branden

Christian September 25, 2017

I'm using MySQL 5.7.19. 

I see REFERENCES is the only difference from the steps I followed here:

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER,INDEX on <db_name>.* TO 'user'@'jira_server_ip' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

Query OK, 0 rows affected, 1 warning (0.00 sec)

mysql> flush privileges;

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> SHOW GRANTS FOR user@jira_server_ip;

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+|

Grants for user@jira_server_ip  

|+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+|

GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'user@jira_server_ip'                                  || GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, INDEX, ALTER ON `db_name`.* TO 'user@jira_server_ip'

|+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

2 rows in set (0.00 sec)mysql

Branden, will alter permission for be db user to include REFERENCES and see if it works.

Thank you for your assistance.

Christian September 25, 2017

Branden, after performing the SQL command you provided, I rebooted both the jira and MySQL servers and do receive a 500 error when interfacing with a project.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

0 votes
Jay Kantaria March 29, 2018

After having 7.8.1 installed fresh...... I was having the same issue where I get 500 when I go to any project or issue link after logging in.

"REFERECE"  permission is missing in the installation document.  Above privilege alternation and rebooting MySQL server and application server fixed the issue as well.

Suggest an answer