Get total story points completed in a sprint using rest api or sql in Jira DB

Bernardo Paroli September 6, 2017

Can anyone help me to get the Story points completed in a specific sprint?

We usually connect directly to the rest api or database (mysql) to feed this kind of info into other management tools in the company.

I don´t mind programming something that has to traverse every issue in the sprint or whatever, but i just kind find out how JIRA knows that issue with that SP estimate was completed in that sprint.

The data can be viewed in JIRA in the velocity report, but examining SQLs logs doesn´t tell much.

Regards,

Sebastian

1 answer

2 votes
Eric Franklin September 6, 2017

Hey Sebastian,

There's an older post covering this that I believe is still relevant:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Is-there-a-Greenhopper-REST-API-for-accessing-story-points-for-a/qaq-p/562639

First you need to get the rapidview ID for the that sprint, do this here are steps:

1. Run /rest/greenhopper/1.0/rapidview to get list of rapid views with the IDs.
  2. After you get the rapid view ID, you will need to get list of sprints in that rapid view by running/rest/greenhopper/1.0/sprints/{rapidViewId}
  3. After obtaining the Sprint ID, you can run /rest/greenhopper/1.0/rapid/charts/sprintreport?rapidViewId={rapidViewId}&sprintId={sprintID} to get list of issues for that sprint.

ANd once you have all the issues completed you can sum the total story points, hours logged, or any other data you are interested in.

A later post mentions /sprint being deprecated and being replaced by /sprintquery but based on the recent api docs, I believe /sprint is still applicable. I could be wrong though. Let me know if this helps (I know that post is really old but I think the answer is still accurate).

Bernardo Paroli September 7, 2017

Thats a posibility but, an issue could be in more than one sprint. And only completed in the last (for example). So if you just get the status to sum the story points for the First sprint you are getting the velocity for that sprint incorrectly.

Bernardo Paroli September 7, 2017

forget it using the API i managed to obtain the sprint report, it´s "historically" accurate

thanks for everything

Daniel Brownfield September 19, 2017

@Bernardo Paroli

I am trying to find the same information you are using the API.  Can you please share your solution?

Deshawn Jordan Kaegler October 25, 2018

How exactly did you run this in your code? I am new to this, and I am trying to run these commands in my JavaScript code. I just do not know how to.

Thank you

Suggest an answer