Get the list of all JQL's fired in JIRA

Sridhar Nimmagadda July 7, 2015

I am interested in getting all the JQL's that are fired by a JIRA instance, the atlassian-jira-slow-queries.log will only log the queries that take > 400ms to execute..so that leaves me with remaining queries that take < 400 ms to execute.

3 answers

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2015

From my older book "Practical JIRA Plugins" (O'Reilly):

You can display the original JQL query and its associated Lucene query in the JIRA log file by adding the following lines to log4j.properties file:

log4j.logger.com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider = \ INFO, console, filelog

log4j.additivity.com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.providers.LuceneSearchProvider = false 

but this is likely to impact your JIRA performance

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

If you must, turn on access logs and use some tools like the ELK stack to drill down the JQL calls.

Sridhar Nimmagadda July 8, 2015

hmm looks like an option. will try it

0 votes
Sateesh Chandra
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2015

Every jql query internally fires a database query. The slow query logs actually display the sql queries. The complete list will almost cannot end.

All JQLs fire SQL ? whats the purpose of Lucene Indexes ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2015

I don't think Sateesh meant to say that. JQL doesn't generally run much SQL against your database - it does check permissions, but most of the work in a search is done against the Lucence index. So whatever you're really looking for here, you're probably looking in the wrong place. Could you explain why you think you want to do this? What's the problem you're trying to solve by looking at JQL activity?

I am looking for all JQL's fired during a time period and optimize them...well i understand if a JQL takes <400ms there is nothing to worry about it..still checking out if i can get the complete list.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2015

You can't "optimise" JQL. It's not SQL.

Suggest an answer